FlyInside Flight Simulator Beta Branch - 0.5.3.5

Moderators: Tony, admin

FlyInside Flight Simulator Beta Branch - 0.5.3.5

Postby admin » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi All,

We've just deployed a new update to our beta branch (check out "opting into beta" instructions at bottom of post)! We've added our first "Flight School" scenario, which takes you through basic controls, take-off, and landing. We'd love your thoughts and feedback, please try this out. Note that the voice recordings are from one of our devs to feel out the dialog, we'll be replacing them with professional voice acting shortly. The scenario is named: "Tutorial 1 - Intro to Flying"

General Changes Since 0.5.3.0 (last beta branch):
  • Adds "Intro to Flight" scenario (please test this!)
  • Adds VR keyboard which appears when you tap into a textbox in VR
  • Adds wind sound, several sound fixes
  • Fixes several issues with loading stutter
  • Greatly improves simulator startup speed
  • Improves speed of terrain loading. Not done yet, but it's harder to outpace the terrain loader when flying fast
  • Fixed several aircraft systems bugs
  • Sim no longer hangs when audio devices are unplugged
  • Helicopters are now properly affected by wind/gusts
  • Several fixes to Steam installation process

Changes since 0.5.0.0 (last public release):
  • Adds internal night-lighting to all aircraft
  • Positional yoke now supports all settings/features that rotational yoke does (under Settings -> VR)
  • Default is now hold-trigger-to-hold-yoke, as we found "Tap on" / "Tap off" could be a little confusing for new users. Still easy to turn on from Settings -> VR :)
  • Some performance improvements
  • Some improvements to stutter during scenery loading
  • Fixes memory leak which occurs after opening moving map
  • Fixes CPU usage bug which occurred after opening and closing moving map
  • Fixes crashes caused by corrupt texture files
  • Yoke/collective are now grabbable via "Tap on" / "tap off". Hold your controller close to the yoke, press and release the trigger once. The yoke will stay highlighted and you can control it. Press and release trigger a second time to let go! You can change this to the hold behavior from "Settings -> VR" and unchecking "Use Tap-On/Tap-Off Yoke Hold"
  • You can now grab the yoke using a "grip" gesture. On Vive controllers press one of the grip buttons, on Oculus Touch squeeze both the trigger button and the grip button below it simultaneously. This will hold the yoke from the palm of the hand rather than the finger-tip.
  • Fixes MD530F collective grabbability
  • Adds a setting to turn off rudder control from vr yoke/collective grab. Settings -> VR -> VR Yoke Controls Rudder
  • Adds a setting to leave the yoke where it is when you let go, rather than snapping back to center (Settings ->VR -> Retain VR Yoke Position)
  • Adds sensitivity sliders for yoke control to Settings -> VR.
  • Hands are no longer blindingly bright at night
  • Tooltips/interaction bubble are now visible at night
  • Propeller and mixture levers now "multi-grabbable"
  • File -> Record Video now records to MP4, and you can include audio or menus to your videos
  • Engine sounds now go away when engines are shut off
  • Fixed friction bug, helicopters can now get "light on their skids"
  • Fixes turn-coordinator ball bug
  • Improves 717 VR interaction and switch coverage
  • Adds UDP socket capabilities to scripting. Contact me if you're interested
  • Fixes B55 Fuel Flow gauge
  • Adds SDK APIs to parse XML from strings, create strings from XML

Opting into beta
By default, the Updater will revert you to the latest public release! To opt into closed-beta updates (newest features, less stable):
1. Turn on Debugging Tools from "Help -> About -> Usage Options"
2. Open "Debugging Tools -> Debug Diagnostics"
3. Expand "Debug Options"
4. For "Updates URL" specify "https://cdn.flyinside-fsx.com/SimLatest.ClosedBeta/" (the final slash is important)
5. Restart your sim
6. Use "Sim -> Check for Updates" - It should show a prompt for version 0.5.3.5 currently

Thanks!
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Re: FlyInside Flight Simulator Beta Branch - 0.5.3.5

Postby TomC » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks for the update Dan. Program starts a lot faster. The flight training scenario works well. It brought back lots of great memories from my first PPL training circuits +30 years ago, lol!

I think that the circuit itself needs to be tightened up quite a bit, maybe ~1/2 distance from runway on downwind leg so you get a better feeling where you are in the circuit. This should also tighten up the turns which are way too shallow right now imho. Using the turn indicator I think they should be rate 1 (turn coord indicator to its line ~180deg/min). Then the turn coord ball can be kept centred with the coordinated application of rudder. Both of these would make the tutorial a lot more realistic imho.

Overall, great job guys. BTW I thought the voices were excellent. Nice and clear. No need to hire better voice actors as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again Dan.
Alienware 17r4 Laptop (Dec/2017); i7-7700HQ (2.8/3.6Ghz), GTX1060-6Gb, 32GB ram, Oculus Rift w/touch controllers, various flight sticks and gamepads. Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) w/GTX1080ti plus Asus VG248QE 144hz external monitor.
TomC

Return to General discussion