2019 VR HMD Discussion

Moderators: Tony, admin

2019 VR HMD Discussion

Postby John Hargreaves » Mon May 06, 2019 4:44 am

We've got a whole new bunch of toys coming this year, so I'm curious about anyone's experience of the Reverb, Rift S, Index etc and how they work with FFS. In the short term I've pre ordered a Rift S myself, as the boost in visual clarity whilst keeping performance and compatibility the same feels like a reasonable upgrade from the CV1. What I really fancy though is a Reverb, but never having experienced WMR I have doubts about it. I have read mixed feedback with other sims with the previous WMR headsets.
It seems the Reverb will also not be out in the UK for a while. I was kind of hoping that I might get my hands on one (or see reviews at least) while I still had time to cancel my Rift S pre order, but I think I have run out of patience with the CV1 fuzzy optics after three years. So unless things change, it's the Rift S in the short term, then hop over to the Reverb if it turns out to be as good as it looks.

So, if anyone has any thoughts or experiences with the 2019 vintage VR headsets, please share it here.
i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/OE-XAM R22 collective/Reverb G2
John Hargreaves

Re: 2019 VR HMD Discussion

Postby TomC » Tue May 07, 2019 1:29 am

I'll be interested to see what you think of the Rift-S. I have a Rift cv1 and I'm actually very happy with it. I'll probably hold off buying a Rift-S until I get some feedback, esp. from X-Plane 11 users.

Personally I would avoid anything WMR. I mucked around with it for almost 1/2 of last year before switching to a Rift. Oculus is a much more stable VR system imho. Because WMR has not really grown much over the last 12 months it would not surprise me if Microsoft scraped it altogether (remember the Windows smart phones?).
Alienware 17r4 Laptop (Dec/2017); i7-7700HQ (2.8/3.6Ghz), GTX1060-6Gb, 32GB ram, Oculus Rift w/touch controllers, various flight sticks and gamepads. Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) w/GTX1080ti plus Asus VG248QE 144hz external monitor.
TomC

Postby TrickyDee » Tue May 07, 2019 7:53 am

Depends what you want from the HMD.

I've used a Lenovo Explorer WMR headset, from release. I don't tend to use the controllers, as I use it mainly for sim racing.

I love it, the tracking of the head movement is spot on, and only requires a HDMI & A USB 3 to set up.

Resolution higher than Oculus and Vive, but lower system overhead, allowing graphics to be pushed a little higher.

Granted tracking of the controllers can be an issue, if they are out of view, and you may find yourself a little down the pecking order when it comes to squashing bugs.

But generally good.
TrickyDee

Postby John Hargreaves » Wed May 08, 2019 1:24 pm

It's weird, WMR users seem to report both good and bad experiences from what I've found. Seems to be a wide variation. Oculus does have very solid software support from my experience.
i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/TM Warthog+VKB MkIV Rudder pedals/OE-XAM R22 collective/Reverb G2
John Hargreaves

Postby TrickyDee » Thu May 09, 2019 10:23 am

John Hargreaves wrote:It's weird, WMR users seem to report both good and bad experiences from what I've found. Seems to be a wide variation. Oculus does have very solid software support from my experience.

I think the only issue with WMR is the loss of controller tracking if the controllers move outside of the view from the on headset cameras. As far as head tracking goes, it is faultless.

There are issues with being at the bottom of the tree when it comes to bug squashing or making compatible. due to the lack of users, though now via steam, the problems are few and far between.

The cost is the big advantage, £170 including controllers for ACER headset + controllers in Game at the moment.
TrickyDee

Postby John Hargreaves » Thu May 09, 2019 4:26 pm

Some of those through the lens shots that are doing the rounds from the reverb do look very appealing :shock:
John Hargreaves

Postby bfisher18 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:03 pm

Will this program work with the Pimax 5k plus?
Which version should I D/L
bfisher18

Postby Mr_man » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:43 pm

FSX is absolutely awesome in VR using FlyInside and the Valve Index.

I popped in last night, meant to be just for a quick test, and ended up flying for ages in the default first flight with the Air Creation Trike, where you start in the air, in the evening. I was so pleased with what I saw that I just kept cruising around the area for quite some time.

I liked it with my Rift CV1, but the Index just blows that away, no doubt about it - truly awesome. This at 90Hz, too, with max FoV.

PS - I haven't tested FlyInside Flight sim just yet. I did a new install of Windows and I've downloaded the installer, but not installed it yet - next on the list.
Mr_man

Postby lensmandave » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:21 pm

FlyInside is looking spectacular in the Rift S ! I've upgraded from the CV1 and the difference is significant. Everything is clearly readable in the cockpits at normal seated position with a modest amount of pixel density dialled in.
Since the last round of software and firmware updates over the weekend it looks like Oculus have sorted all of the bugs that some people were having.
It's a breeze to set up, takes about 3 minutes and really comfy to wear and accommodates glasses easily if you need to them.
It's got to be the 'best bang for the buck' of the current headsets :)
lensmandave

Postby bonanza » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:48 am

Hi all, I have everything ready to go but my new rift s only has a display port connector. Since flight sim wont fire up I presume that flyinside wont recognise the vr headset via the display port. How do you get the rift s to work? Bonanza.
bonanza

Next

Return to General discussion