FIFS Beta2 Branch - 0.5.9.5 - HUGE scenery update!

Moderators: Tony, admin

Re: FIFS Beta2 Branch - 0.5.9.5 - HUGE scenery update!

Postby pracines » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:43 pm

looking SO MUCH BETTER!

Looking forward to what's to come!

Keep up the great work FI team!
Paul Racines

Win 10 64bit | Z97 Pro | i7 4790 4.6GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooling | 16GB RAM | GTX 980 | Oculus Rift
1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
pracines

Postby mobiusfix » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:08 pm

I played around in the sim a bit more tonight. Once again had a (software) crash just as I started rolling down the runway. Bugsplat reported. My second load-up worked just fine, and once I get going I don't experience any crashes, hiccups, or streaming lag. Super smooth FPS as always, which is why FIFS is my always my go-to VR flight sim.

Aside from some elevation mapping issues which don't bother me that much, I noticed a couple things that are a bit more bothersome:

1) Sometimes when I load an airport, my plane is either below the runway or off to the side of the runway. At Honolulu I actually started on the surface of the lagoon next to the airport. Luckily the sim didn't recognize it as a water landing.

2) The airport search function needs to be more robust (and accurate). As in the example above, if I actually search for "Honolulu", nothing comes up. If I search for the full airport name starting with "Daniel", nothing comes up. I have to enter the airport code or "Inouye" to find it. Similarly with Aeroporto Internazionale di Napoli. None of those words brings up a result. Instead, I have to type in "Capodichino" which is simply the district of Naples where the airport resides. In short, a bit of a pain.

3) Most sims add-ons that use satellite imagery fade out the imagery at the coastline. At the moment, FlyInside appears to just be using entire chunks of imagery off the coastline that end abruptly.

I'm sure this is all on your to-do list, but I just wanted to share my impressions after using the new build a couple times. Thanks!
mobiusfix

Postby Qantas_10 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:23 am

Just another observation, some of the photographic scenery appears to be very different in colour at differing LOD levels.
Would it be a possibility to allow for a switch to turn off photographic scenery and instead load the previous style hybrid scenery (keeping the auto gen buildings) for the world, instead of just being limited to the US. This way if you have good photographic scenery in your area, you could use this and if not, use the hybrid scenery instead.
Qantas_10

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:32 am

Thank you! Massive update to rekindle my interest, and looking forward to further refinements. Just flew from EGNX to outskirts of Derby UK and spotted my daughter's house and the ponds in the next field below.

Mike
P3D 3.4/XP 10 &11/AFS2/DCS/Flyinside FS - Win 10 Home 64 - ASRock Z270 Extreme 4, Intel i7 7700k 4.6GHz, 32Gb 3200 GSkill Trident Z RAM, Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti Extreme 11Gb, Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb M.2 NVMe + 2Tb WD Gold, NZXT Kraken X62. HP Reverb G2
Mike

Postby dlhusk@gmail.com » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:41 am

I am doing OK, for the most part I enjoy the new scenery...I assume this is Google Maps info, or is it Bing?

When I fly over the area called Mexico Beach, Florida where Hurrican Micael hit, I do not see damage, however in Google Maps I do? Maybe this is older data?

Also when I get to close to ground I loose control and my joystick does not respond?
Thanks, for a good job.... :D :D :D :D
dlhusk@gmail.com

Postby Qantas_10 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:02 am

“Qantas - Could catch on the runways, we'll see what we can do there to make them more accurate. Any chance you could send me a screenshot of the blurries you're seeing (dan@flyinside-fsx.com)? At-least down low you should be getting 1 ft/pixel (same/better than the old scenery), but I'm sure we have plenty of tweaking left to do on those algorithms.”

Hi Dan, sorry for not replying to your post sooner, I have reinstalled FIFS on a SSD now and the ‘blurries’ have almost gone away, so I presume this is probably a similar issue to the FSX ‘blurries’ issue because FIFS uses a similar scenery architecture as FSX? Anyways it’s better than it was before with the HDD. On another note, can you give any more insight on the Cessna ?

QF10
Qantas_10

Previous

Return to General discussion