Streaming scenery question

Moderators: Tony, admin

Streaming scenery question

Postby scottharmes6 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:51 am

Great job with the scenery streaming that you guys have achieved. It was a pleasant and very unexpected surprise, and it is working very smoothly right out of the box for me. Just one question. Is it possible to increase the range of the scenery so it extends out to the horizon? Would this require too much data to be downloaded and injected? I love the scenery even as it is, but when at a moderate altitude (even above 2000 feet) in a jet when I first tried it out I could clearly see the square boundary where the streamed PR ground texture met the default scenery underneath. I was also easily able to outrun the scenery streaming when flying low and fast in the T-38. I suppose this is dependant on a users' internet, but is there a way to increase the amount and rate of the tiles being streamed?

BTW I have my terrain set to "Huge".

Cheers,
scottharmes6

Re: Streaming scenery question

Postby admin » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Thanks! I'd recommend trying just "Large" and seeing if it gets any better. Paradoxically, "Huge" can overwhelm the scenery loader and slow it down a bit, making it easier to outpace :oops: We do want to increase the range overall, because you're right about it not going far enough, but it's a balance between CPU usage, networking bandwidth, etc.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Re: Streaming scenery question

Postby scottharmes6 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:37 am

Thanks Dan. I am finding it better to use prop aircraft and the streaming works amazingly. I think it will be really good with airliners too, but haven't flown a full flight yet. With airliners you really only need the scenery on departure and approach, and depending on cloud cover you may not even notice much of a boundary. I have been flying low and slow in the B55 and T-50 at about 5000 feet and the scenery is amazing. I prefer to turn off the vegetation mostly, as it doesn't really blend with the PR too well.
scottharmes6

Return to General discussion