Beta Branch Update - 0.6.4.4 - Quick Bug Fixes

Moderators: Tony, admin

Beta Branch Update - 0.6.4.4 - Quick Bug Fixes

Postby MalcolmFI » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:49 pm

Hi All,

We have now released version 0.6.4.4 on the beta branch, which is a minor bug-fix update to our recent beta release 0.6.4.3. The summary below is the same as it was for that release, except for some additional bug fixes you'll see below.

We're excited to finally launch a new release on the beta branch! Once you update, you should be on 0.6.4.4.

This new update adds a new aircraft, the Rotorway 162. This popular experimental helicopter is a challenge and joy to fly. We've honed in the flight model thanks to the help of a 10,000+ hour pilot, and it feels a lot like the real thing. All switches/buttons/etc are mapped for VR touch, and the helicopter supports a full startup procedure.

If you have a helicopter flight chair, check out "Settings -> Flight Model -> Helicopter" and uncheck "Auto-Govern Piston Helicopters". In real-life, the 162 doesn't have a governer, and the pilot has to constantly manage the throttle to keep the rotor RPM in range. An already challenging helicopter is now even trickier to fly :)

In addition we've spent a lot of the time since our last release building new tools. We've built an aircraft SDK (used to create the Rotorway), a C++ SDK, and scenery tools. Although not very exciting on their own, these tools mean a lot for the future of the sim. Throughout February we'll be rolling out samples so that developers can start building their own aircraft. The C++ SDK means we have the tools to start building out more realistic GPSs, proper in-aircraft navigation, etc.

Our release cycle was thrown off due to some unexpected issues adding a single-engine trainer aircraft. We're still working on this and will launch it as soon as we're able, but in the mean-time we won't let it hold up releases. You can expect 1-2 releases a month moving forward. Our focus right now is getting the new simulator developer tools into your hands, so that you can build out your favorite airports or scenery areas (and more).

Improvements in 0.6.4.4:
  • Magnetic compasses now show realistic error behavior
  • Fixes bug where aircraft would show night lighting during day and day lighting at night
  • Fixes bug where B407 would vibrate on the ground causing weird shaking visuals

Improvements in 0.6.4.3:
  • Adds new Rotorway 162 helicopter!
  • Adds TrackIR support
  • Helicopter controls are now properly labeled under "Settings -> Controls" rather than having confusing airplane control names
  • Adds support for magnetic vs true heading
  • Fixes a couple of scenario errors/failures, scenario 1b is now flyable
  • Adds aircraft creation SDK
  • Adds C++ API/plugin support
  • Adds scenery area creation tools
  • Various airport elevation bug-fixes
  • Adds option to enable/disable VR yoke grab
  • Multiplayer aircraft can now collide with one another
  • Various crash-fixes
  • Adds new XML tutorial checklist system, improves aircraft charts functionality
  • Adds new Leap Motion twist interactor, featured on Rotorway, will work its way out to other aircraft
  • VR zoom is now hold to zoom rather than push to toggle zoom
  • Adds piston helicopter flight-model
  • Fixes bug where scenery sometimes loads as gray, improves scenery initial load time

Opting into Steam Beta:
1. Open Steam
2. Go to the "Library" section
3. Right click on "FlyInside Flight Simulator"
4. Select Properties
5. Go to the "betas" tab
6. From the "Select the beta you would like to opt into:" dropdown, select "beta"
7. Let Steam do its update thing!

Opting into the Website-Version Beta:
1. Turn on Debugging Tools from "Help -> About -> Usage Options"
2. Open "Debugging Tools -> Debug Diagnostics"
3. Expand "Debug Options"
4. For "Updates URL" specify "https://cdn.flyinside-fsx.com/SimLatest.ClosedBeta2/" (the final slash is important)
5. Restart your sim
6. Use "Sim -> Check for Updates" - It should show a prompt for version 0.6.4.4 currently

Thanks,
Malcolm
MalcolmFI

Re: Beta Branch Update - 0.6.4.4 - Quick Bug Fixes

Postby wraith » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:18 pm

Awesome! Glad to see theres still progress on this!
wraith

Postby Frank4 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:33 pm

How do you activate the TrackIR support?
Frank4

Postby Tony » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Hi mate, Dan said It should just work if you have Track IR installed, and the Track IR software running.

So follow the instructions below mate :) (you need to be on the new beta)

Opting into Steam Beta:
1. Open Steam
2. Go to the "Library" section
3. Right click on "FlyInside Flight Simulator"
4. Select Properties
5. Go to the "betas" tab
6. From the "Select the beta you would like to opt into:" dropdown, select "beta"
7. Let Steam do its update thing!

Opting into the Website-Version Beta:
1. Turn on Debugging Tools from "Help -> About -> Usage Options"
2. Open "Debugging Tools -> Debug Diagnostics"
3. Expand "Debug Options"
4. For "Updates URL" specify "https://cdn.flyinside-fsx.com/SimLatest.ClosedBeta2/" (the final slash is important)
5. Restart your sim
6. Use "Sim -> Check for Updates" - It should show a prompt for version 0.6.4.4 currently

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby terryg53 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:10 am

Its been aw3hile since i have flown with the sim . You really have made alot of progress and is looking really good , I like the water and the clouds , The ground textures look great at a certain height. Could do with more building autogen as looking a bit sparse. But nevertheless , a massive improvement to the last time i flew. Keep up the good work.

Regards

terry
windows 8.1 pro
intel i7700k 4.2ghz
Nvidea gtx 1080
32 gig ram
saitek yoke
x52 joystick
oculus rift
terryg53

Postby TomC » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:47 pm

Frank4 wrote:How do you activate the TrackIR support?

I would also like to know how to do this. Thanks.

EDIT; Finally got TrackIR to work. You need to startup TrackIR first. Then, on the top right of its screen you may see an 'Update Game' tab. Select it and then restart TrackIR. Then startup FFS. Actually works pretty good. Not as nice as VR though.
Alienware 17r4 Laptop (Dec/2017); i7-7700HQ (2.8/3.6Ghz), GTX1060-6Gb, 32GB ram, Oculus Rift w/touch controllers, various flight sticks and gamepads. Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) w/GTX1080ti plus Asus VG248QE 144hz external monitor.
TomC

Postby Frank4 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:12 am

On TrackIR it is important that you set up in the TrackIR application to assign a profile for running with Flight Inside Simulator. Make sure the profile uses the Smooth settings and I recommend changing the motion control sliders at the top to less than 1.0 (I'm using 0.6), and smooth settings higher (I'm using 40 at the moment). Make sure to save your smooth settings by clicking the "disk" icon under the Profiles tab in the Advanced settings tab at the bottom of TrackIR.

The motion settings are extra important with Fly Inside if you have a fast monitor. My monitor runs at 144 Hz and because Fly Inside Simulator is so fast it is rock steady at 144. As with VR, and in real life in a plane, it is important to not move your head too quickly. TrackIR will greatly accentuate things if you set it up as it is intended to allow you to turn your head only 70 or 80 degrees to look all the way to the tail of the aircraft.

If you slow down the motion control it will help keep things under control and makes it almost as good as VR. This is stunningly better with Fly Inside Simulator than XP and FSX since the update rate is so fast!

Great job guys!
Frank4

Postby Frank4 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:20 am

Hey guys, you guys have done an amazing job with this update. I'm totally impressed with the performance of this simulator in VR and with TrackIR (now that I have reduced the TrackIR motion speed settings to keep fast head movements from inducing head rush!).

One issue I wanted to describe: when I try to run without VR for a session using TrackIR instead, it still loads up SteamVR and fires up my VR headset. You do prompt to "Hit "M" to disable VR", but Steam VR keeps running (and presumably using GPU/CPU cycles - in addition to keeping my Index and basestations running). When I hit "Play" in steam, I'm selecting "Play Fly Inside Simulator" - NOT "Launch Fly Inside Simulator in Steam VR Mode". So, isn't it a bug to start it in SteamVR anyway? Or is this a function of my VR settings in Fly Inside?
Frank4

Postby snagar » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:28 pm

Hi,

Nice update. It is nice to see there is some progress in the simulator side. One of the features I like is the ground textures streaming, makes the flight more interesting.

Few observations and old bugs:
[*]Not all runways are aligned with ground textures, meaning their elevation level is above ground.
[*]When opening Audio setting window, CPU + GPU spikes and FPS drops. Only occur to me in this window.
[*]Some cloud types has a hazy line with the ground. When I was on ground and changed between cumulus cloud types (I think the heavy ones) and I looked left and right, any cloud that was in the horizon and intersect with the ground, caused this hazy line to appear between the ground and the cloud (Cloud pixel was 0.25).

Good Luck
snagar

Return to General discussion