Not able to fly ("Headset plugged into wrong video card")

Moderators: Tony, admin

Not able to fly ("Headset plugged into wrong video card")

Postby blave » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:30 am

Hardware: Almost brand new Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop. 8th gen i7, Nvidia GTX1060 (latest drivers, as of four or five days ago), 16MB RAM. Brand new Oculus Rift, CH Combat Stick/Pro Throttles/Pro Pedal on a USB 3.0 USB hub (plugged into the Predator's USB 3.1 port).

Everything else that I've tried Rift-wise runs great on this. FISFS works on the main laptop screen, but never renders in the Rift and I get that error. I am positive the laptop's display is connected to the GTX1060, as is the Rift. In the end I get "FlyInside Flight Simulator not responding" in the little status window (screenshot attached).

Help me, Obi-Wan, etc. etc.

cheers,
Dave
Attachments
FailureToRender.jpg
FailureToRender.jpg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 6996 times
blave

Re: Not able to fly ("Headset plugged into wrong video card"

Postby admin » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:11 am

Hi Dave,

We'll need to look into this, may be an easy fix. Btw, what happens if you use "Virtual Reality -> Oculus" rather than "Virtual Reality -> SteamVR"? You can press M to disable VR and pick the other output.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby TomC » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:55 pm

blave, you should not need to use steamVR with your Oculus Rift nor should you use it with Flyinside sim. I found it best to initially startup the Oculus PC app without wearing the headset, then minimise it. Then use the Flyinside sim desktop shortcut to start the sim. Then answer yes to the little popup box and after this put on your headset. I cannot remember whether or not I then needed to use my mouse to select VR mode but it's worth checking that the Oculus Rift virtual tab to make sure. After getting this all to work fine I've found that I can easily startup Flyinside sim from within Oculus Home Apps pane. Hope this helps and Happy 2019!
Alienware 17r4 Laptop (Dec/2017); i7-7700HQ (2.8/3.6Ghz), GTX1060-6Gb, 32GB ram, Oculus Rift w/touch controllers, various flight sticks and gamepads. Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) w/GTX1080ti plus Asus VG248QE 144hz external monitor.
TomC

Postby blave » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Hey guys,

thanks for the quick replies. I took a day off from this in favor of flying Aircar some more. That is such an awesome, immersive "sim" even though it's very limited.

I just tried firing up FISFS from the desktop shortcut and selecting the Oculus. Crash. So then I tried it by firing up the Oculus app first, and then starting FISFS from the desktop shortcut, and then selecting Oculus. Same type of crash... I got a "BugSplat" dialog box in both cases, and I allowed it to send the .dmp and .xml files to "where-ever they go". I've never heard of BugSplat.

Anyway, that's my status as of right now.

TT4N,
Dave.
blave

Postby MalcolmFI » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:42 pm

Hi Dave,

It seems that you're now stuck in a loop of Oculus crashes. Clearing your FlyInside settings should reset that for you. You can do that by navigating to "C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\FlyInside" and deleting or renaming the file called "FlyInsideSimulator_settings.ini." After that, try running the sim in standard mode, not SteamVR or Oculus VR, and make sure it starts up without crashing.

Now, for the "wrong graphics card" issue, I found this solution that worked for people who encountered a similar problem in a different program (just replace "Skyrim VR" with "FIFS," of course):

I think I found a fix for this, especially since you're using a Nvidia graphics as well. I had to go into NVIDIA Control Panel > 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings. From here you have two choices you can do, I chose to do the 2nd choice.

1: In the Global Settings, for "Preferred graphics processor:" choose "High-performance NVIDIA processor"

2: In the Program Settings, select Skyrim VR as the program (I had to add the program since it wasn't listed in the drop down) and select the preferred graphics processor as "High-performance NVIDIA processor".

This should fix it because both the Skyrim VR program and what is being projected to the headset will both use the dedicated card instead of mixing both the integrated and dedicated. I'm hoping they will update this since I have not encountered anything like this yet with my laptop but this will have to do for now.

(https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/896drl/can_we_get_a_skyrim_megathread_stickied_for_any/dwr68d4/)

See if you can use SteamVR and/or Oculus VR in the sim after changing that setting.

Let us know how that goes! I don't have a laptop available to test it on, but I've found this solution referenced in a few different threads.

Regards,
Malcolm
MalcolmFI

Postby blave » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Malcom,

That was IT! Yay!

Now that I can experience the VR aspect of the sim -- whoa. The cockpit of the F5? (default jet) is really well done. It reminds me of that of my favorite FSX/P3D aircraft, the Aerosoft OV-10 Bronco.

Aaaand I just purchased the sim! I'm going to install the update and some helis... I'm curious to see how the heli flight model is. The FSX/P3D one is, IMO, not very good or realistic. I'll report back with my findings ;^) .

thanks everyone,
Dave.
blave

Postby admin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:17 pm

Glad that did it! The default "figher" is the T-38A, and I agree, I love it :) Right now the heli flight model is fairly basic (although still a significant improvement over FSX/P3D imo), but we're pushing a huge update end-of-week. If you're interested in helping to test it, shoot me an e-mail - dan@flyinside-fsx.com

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to Bugs & Tech Support