Ground Movement

Moderators: Tony, admin

Ground Movement

Postby pracines » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:08 pm

I have been testing the power requirements to get the B55 rolling on the ground.

-At KFRG (80 feet MSL) - really any airport
-default Fair Weather Type
-brakes off
-on taxiways and runways

It takes about 1900 RPM in FFS to even get moving and when the B55 does move its very abrupt; suddenly at 5 or so (guessing) knots.
This is not natural and it takes way too much power to even start moving.
After getting the B55 to move, I can slow it to a very slow creep/crawl, so its not like the tires are sticking to the ground or the ground friction is too amplified. Also when at a crawl (<1 knot) it only takes a slight nudge of power (about 900 RPM) to boost back up to 5 knots.

Could this be improved to a state where the plane slowly begins to move from stopped to a creep/crawl? The amount of power it takes I cannot really specify, but 1900 RPM (just under the green arc) is not likely realistic.
Paul Racines

Win 10 64bit | Z97 Pro | i7 4790 4.6GHz | Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooling | 16GB RAM | GTX 980 | Oculus Rift
1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD | 2TB WD Black 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
pracines

Re: Ground Movement

Postby MalcolmFI » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:41 pm

Thanks for the report. Seems like there's excessive initial static friction on the wheels, since it's tough to get moving but fine after that. Our ground physics system is pretty complex, so it'll be some time before we're able to fix issues such as this one. We also need to make the wheels touch the ground instead of floating above or below, among other things.
MalcolmFI

Return to Bugs & Tech Support