How can I plan a route?

Moderators: Tony, admin

How can I plan a route?

Postby skubi007 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Hello from Germany,

How can I plan a route? Starting place works, but I'm looking for an option where I can enter a destination. Example Frankfurt to Madrid.
skubi007

Re: How can I plan a route?

Postby admin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:18 pm

We don't currently have a "route planning" functionality within the simulator. You'll want to use a tool like www.SkyVector.com to plan your route. At this point the courses, VOR nav-aids, etc, will be usable in-simulator. It's not an ideal situation, but the sim is under heavy development and a flight planner hasn't made it to the top of our priority list yet.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby skubi007 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Just a flight plan is very important, how should I reach the destination and see where I am right now? Or shows me www.SkyVector.com in the game where I am right now?
skubi007

Postby admin » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Right now you can use "Location -> Map" to see which airports you are near, and get a feel for your location (some aircrafts have a GPS with similar display). If you're running the latest beta you have a couple of options:
1. Take a picture/screenshot of SkyVector (or your flight plan) and save it as a png. Then use "Aircraft -> Charts -> Add Chart" to display your png file within the cockpit.
2. Use "Sim -> Desktop Capture" to bring in a live window (like your web browser) to your VR cockpit. Note that this functionality is still under development and doesn't have great performance.

Right now there isn't a global map+flight plan that shows exactly where you are. It's planned for the future. In the mean-time you can navigate like ye' olden VFR pilots though. Using a nice combination of flight plan, dead reckoning, pilotage, and VORs ;)

Hope that helps for now.
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to Bugs & Tech Support