Importing FSX Aircraft?

Moderators: Tony, admin

Importing FSX Aircraft?

Postby dhosein » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:15 am

How easy/possible is it going to be to take existing aircraft from FSX into the new sim?

With FSX being around for so long, people have collected huge numbers of freeware aircraft and in many cases, spent a great deal of money on payware planes too. For myself, and I'm sure for others.. that is going to cause a huge amount of inertia to stay with FSX regardless of new improvements and features.

The ideal outcome would be to be able to run a batch tool to import from FSX directly into the new sim... is this something that is possible/likely?
dhosein

Re: Importing FSX Aircraft?

Postby admin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 pm

While we have a tool developed in-house to make it easy for devs to port aircraft from FSX to FFS, it's not something we can release to the general public. I wish we could, but it's an unlikely feature to happen. Two main reasons:
1. Several aircraft add-on developers expressed concerns with people converting their aircraft without permission. Although originally super-easy aircraft imports were our goal, we can't burn bridges with the whole add-on developer community.
2. It's not yet a fully automatic process. After the import some fixing and tweaks are generally required.

Sorry for the bad news.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby HawgDawg4life » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:29 pm

I have a question about the SimObjects folder. I am just curious here, but did you adopt the concept from FSX/P3D because Milviz already had their aircraft setup with the same directory structure? Pretty much identical except the use of XML files instead of config files.

Just Curious
HawgDawg4life

Postby HawgDawg4life » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:45 pm

About 4 years ago, I painted the ND-47 Chinook to be an exact duplicate of the Easy Money Guns-A-GoGo that was flown in Vietnam by my dearly departed friend Doug.

I was able to import the Paint to FlyInside because you already have the ND-47. So..... Sweet!
HawgDawg4life

Postby admin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:45 am

Awesome regarding the skin/livery! Yes, we're converting ESP aircraft. Although we changed a lot of the structure, some DLL gauges are hard-coded to hunt in the "SimObjects" folder for their resources, so we couldn't change it completely.
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby zuiquan1 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:48 am

Man I'm pretty disappointed about this. I was originally interested in this because I saw you were gonna have an option to import fsx planes. There is only 1 plane I use, the Captain Sim C-130, as it was the plane I worked on in the Air Force. Its the reason I stayed with FSX/Prepar3d instead of moving to X-plane(X-plane C-130 is garbage) so I was hoping to be able to import it into Flyinside. Looks like Ill be sticking with Prepar3d. :/
zuiquan1

Postby Tony » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:33 am

Mate that is one cool plane, I worked on the C130's in my RAF days :) Charlie 130 fat Albert Herky bird and the dump truck lol never say never mate, one day things might change. But please, don't let the one aircraft stop you using FFS as it has a lot to offer and some superb future updates on the way ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby slipstream » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:23 am

I used to jump out of them. 7 RHA.
slipstream

Return to Feature Requests & Questions