Here's my idea

Moderators: Tony, admin

Here's my idea

Postby Sidney Schwartz » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:44 pm

May as well throw in my two cent's worth, since I paid for the privilege. :)

When I see someone ask about plans for ATC, real world weather, AI traffic and such stuff, and the reply is "we're working on it or will be working on it", my reaction is this: Please don't work on it too hard. None of the current "big" sims (FSX, P3D, X-Plane) has anything approaching decent ATC. I've used Radar Contact, Proflight, and now ProATC-X, and would hate to go back to using something on the level of the stock FSX ATC. And none of the sims has anything remotely like the AI traffic you get with a payware, or even decent freeware, add on. Stock weather functions are quite a bit better than the stock ATC and stock AI traffic, but I still much prefer ASN. I also use REX worldwide textures and Orbx global textures and vectors. So what I would prefer in a new sim is that it either incorporate existing, good quality, add on ATC/AI traffic/WX, or have some arrangement with the developers of those products to be able to purchase them at a reduced cost. For example, buy the Flyinside sim and get Ultimate Traffic for 50% the usual price. Or whatver, you get the idea. If the add ons were to be incorporated into the sim, of course it would cost more, but I for one would be willing to pay more to get them. If you want the best, you end up paying for it one way or the other. This way the Flyinside team would be able to concentrate on core functions.

I'd be interested to hear what others think of this approach.
Dell Inspiron i5 3.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win 10
Sidney Schwartz

Re: Here's my idea

Postby Kloot » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:37 pm

I agree with you 100%.
Windows 10 64bit | iCore7-7770K| ASUS STRIX Z270E |KHX2400C15D4 - 32GB | Gigabyte Ge-Force GTX 1080Ti| SSD Intel 520 Series | 40" Philips BDM4065UC/75 4K - Oculus Rift
Kloot

Postby chrisb » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:31 pm

interesting idea.
chrisb

Postby TomC » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:51 pm

I also agree 100%. Just get out a good VR flight sim without lifeless lego-land pop-up scenery for starters. This should be the core mission for now imho.
Alienware 17r4 Laptop (Dec/2017); i7-7700HQ (2.8/3.6Ghz), GTX1060-6Gb, 32GB ram, Oculus Rift w/touch controllers, various flight sticks and gamepads. Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) w/GTX1080ti plus Asus VG248QE 144hz external monitor.
TomC

Postby Kento » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am

Makes a lot of sense to get parters that are experts in the specific area like weather and ATC but the challenge would seem to be getting partners interested in building for a new platform. Building an SDK that is sufficiently robust and easy to develop for is obviously key and it seems Dan and crew have that already in mind. Most sim developers are pretty small shops so they may not have the bandwidth for another platform.

So, the FIFS team may need to provide enough in these areas to show promise and attract a sufficient volumes of users before third parties will be interested in delivering more complete functionality.
Kent

i7 4790k @4.7Ghz 32Gb DDR3 1333 RTX 2070 GPU Win7(64) Pro Oculus Rift
Kento

Postby admin » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:15 pm

Kento wrote:Makes a lot of sense to get parters that are experts in the specific area like weather and ATC but the challenge would seem to be getting partners interested in building for a new platform. Building an SDK that is sufficiently robust and easy to develop for is obviously key and it seems Dan and crew have that already in mind. Most sim developers are pretty small shops so they may not have the bandwidth for another platform.

Apologies for not replying to this sooner. It's a big idea, but I had trouble summarizing my thoughts until Kento here voiced them almost exactly ;) Over time we want to work with partners making high quality add-ons. There's a reason, that on every platform, the best functionality for every niche is add-on provided. One company cannot do it all 100%, compared to a company that focuses 100% on ATC, weather, etc.

That said, nobody is going to be interested if we say "here's an engine that pretty much works, we just need devs to fill in ATC, graphics, scenery, weather, and airplanes." It needs to be sufficiently good on its own, and then devs will jump in. It's important that we get the sim really good on its own, out-of-the-box.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby chrisb » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:57 am

" It needs to be sufficiently good on its own, and then devs will jump in. It's important that we get the sim really good on its own, out-of-the-box."

Copy that. Thank you for all your hard work.
chrisb

Postby Sidney Schwartz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:44 pm

I don't envy you having to figure all this out. :lol:

Wile E Coyote.jpg
Wile E Coyote.jpg (41.69 KiB) Viewed 9368 times
Dell Inspiron i5 3.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win 10
Sidney Schwartz

Postby essex » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:18 pm

Given Radar Contact is now free, the source code may be available relatively cheaply, or perhaps FFS could tick it into working unmodified.
essex

Return to Feature Requests & Questions