Scenery and SceneryPacks folders

Moderators: Tony, admin

Scenery and SceneryPacks folders

Postby gerod » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:52 am

Hello,
First thank you very much and congratulations for the update : sceneries are much better (outside airports). I have a question : my scenery folder has not been changed and another one (SceneryPacks) contains all modifications. Is it normal as my scenery folder is located on another drive and used through a logical link ?
Best regards
gerod
MB ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING, i9-9900KF, 32 GB RAM, SSD 1 TB, HDD 2 TB, Nvidia RTX 3070
gerod

Re: Scenery and SceneryPacks folders

Postby admin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:18 am

Hi Gerod,

Thank you, glad you like the update! You don't actually need the "Scenery" folder anymore and can delete it to free up disk space. It's been superceeded entirely by SceneryPacks.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby gerod » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:20 am

Hello,
Thank you for answering but I don't understand why the size of the initial Scenery folder is about 29 GB and the new one only about 2 GB. It seems to be very strange because the huge amount of modifications. Are others folders involved in these modifications ?
Best regards
gerod
MB ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING, i9-9900KF, 32 GB RAM, SSD 1 TB, HDD 2 TB, Nvidia RTX 3070
gerod

Postby admin » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:42 pm

Hi Gerod,

The simulator takes a large amount of information (building/road locations, satellite photoscenery, etc), and analyzes it to spit out landclass categories (town, city, desert, forest, etc). Originally we shipped the full source dataset with the simulator, which calculated landclass categories on the fly. This of course takes up a huge amount of disk space :shock: Now we precompute the categories, and just ship the calculated categories with the simulator (2GB) rather than all of the source data (29GB).

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby gerod » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:40 am

Hello,
Thank you for this very interesting information. Does it mean that the way of calculating and displaying sceneries with photos quality is completly new and may allow a large coverage with reasonable disk space which is not the case at the moment with others sims ?
Best regards
gerod
gerod

Return to Feature Requests & Questions