Questions about VR and Graphic Settings

Moderators: Tony, admin

Questions about VR and Graphic Settings

Postby fooleranto » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Hello everyone!

There are a few settings in the settings that I don't know what they do. Is there anyone among you who can explain these options to me?

Graphics/Advanced Options
- Fast VR Frame-Swap
- Cull hidden headset pixels
- Use single pass rendering

VR-Settings
- Use rotational yoke
- Use positional yoke
- Enable haptics
- Enable yoke haptics

Many greetings from Germany
Intel i7 7700K, 4,2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVidia GTX 1080, Windows 10, Leap Motion
fooleranto

Re: Questions about VR and Graphic Settings

Postby fooleranto » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:51 am

Hello world!

Is there nobody in this big, wide world who can explain these few attitudes to me? At least the makers of the FlyInside simulator should be able to do it, right? Alternatively, they could publish a manual in which all the settings are explained. Just because the simulator is still in development, such a thing should exist, because everyone who buys this simulator should be able to adjust it correctly and this is usually very difficult without explanations. Not every setting is immediately visible or perceptible and if all that settings were self-explanatory, the flight simulator would surely be named iFlyInside and would be from the company Apple.

Greetings from cold Germany

Gunter
fooleranto

Postby admin » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:16 pm

Apologies for the slow response! We definitely need to get a manual out there, but right now settings are changing quite often so it would quickly become absolute (half the settings you asked about here are brand-new).

Fast VR Frame-Swap - This changes how the system displays frames, it's kind of technical. Basically if it works for you, you should use it (slight FPS improvement), and if not it'll be automatically disabled. So don't worry about this one ;)
Cull hidden headset pixels - Blacks out the edges of the screen on Vive/SteamVR. Saves a little bit of performance, and you can't really tell inside the headset. That said, definitely turn off for video recording, demonstrations, etc, where people will be looking at the screen.
Use single pass rendering - Draws both eyes with one draw call, helps on CPU usage. Turns off automatically on Win7 where it isn't supported. In general you want to leave this one on unless you're hitting really weird glitches.

Use rotational yoke - When grabbing the aircraft yoke using Oculus Touch / Vive wands, it will respond to both sliding your controller left/right forwards/backwards. It will also respond to you pitching/rolling your controller. This doesn't align perfectly with the yoke motion, but makes it very easy to control the aircraft with precision
Use positional yoke - When grabbing aircraft yoke using Oculus Touch / Vive, the yoke precisely tracks the aircraft's yoke animation using your controller. It feels more like you are actually grabbing it, but can be a little bit harder to control. Comes down to preference

Enable haptics - Controllers vibrate a little as you grab switches/levers and move them. Helps you "feel" the cockpit
Enable Yoke Haptics - This feature is currently un-implemented so the checkbox won't do anything, but it'll be to turn on little vibrations as you move the yoke.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby fooleranto » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:36 pm

Hello, Dan!

Thank you very much for the detailed answers. I forgive you!

If I understood it correctly, do the Yoke settings only apply to the use of the Touch or Vive devices? That is, in other words, if I use a "normal" yoke, these settings do nothing at all, correct?

Again many greetings

Gunter
fooleranto

Postby MalcolmFI » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:07 pm

That's correct - those settings only apply if you're moving the yoke in VR, and they have no effect on a physical joystick/yoke.

Regards,
Malcolm
MalcolmFI

Postby fooleranto » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Thank you Malcolm!
fooleranto

Return to Feature Requests & Questions