CV1 v Vive

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

CV1 v Vive

Postby Tony » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:57 am

I know it's very early days yet but seeing some of the reviews coming out for the CV1 i'm starting to shift on getting the Vive.

Anyone else thinking the same yet ?

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Re: CV1 v Vive

Postby Derek Speare » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:55 am

From what I've read the CV1 has better clarity. Dunno if Dan can talk about his CV1 at this point. I'm also invested into Oculus for the reason that everything I'm interested in playing works with it. I don't see the Vive as a suitable alternative.
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Postby Robert » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:07 pm

Well, I switched camps and cancelled the Rift. Hoping my 5 minutes after the orders opened time has me a Vive on April 7th. It's a bit of a gamble on compatibility but the Vive has some significant advantages and my DK2 works great everywhere I need. :D
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Bruce_C » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:34 am

Wow, that's a brave move Robert!

Can I ask what changed your mind? I'm sticking with Oculus for now, though I'll be interested to try a vive and see how both evolve.
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby Sharkku » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:51 am

I installed the 1.3 runtime and after some testing I have become very tempted to do the same thing as you, Robert. I am simply disgusted by the Oculus app, and especially the idiotic Health and Safety Warning that is displayed EVERY TIME you have to restart FSX. I really hope there will be a hack to disable it.
The shine-artifact also worries me, but that is probably the same in the Vive.
Well, I think I will stick with it for a while still though. We'll see.
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Bruce_C » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:11 am

I don't think the Health & Safety Warning is Oculus fault, it's just an indicator of the crazy world we live in!

"Fallen off a cliff whilst wearing your virtual reality device? Call Claims4Morons now and get free money whilst helping us line our pockets too!"
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby Sharkku » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:20 am

:) Well, the crazy world we live in is not Oculus' fault, but I think they are being overly cautious to the point of cowardice when making the message display every time a program is run, and not making it possible to disable with a disclaimer. And they won't be sued like you say in Europe.
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Tony » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:38 am

I'm about to switch camps also. I just cannot understand oculus marketing strategy? It's like mushroom growers, put them in a dark room and feed them sh1t!!!
I really was looking forward to the CV1 but oculus as a company (Facebook) are ruining the whole process. Why no info for us minions? I'm totally fed up with it all.

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Robert » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:28 am

Hey Bruce, it was a number of things but before I answer, I need to say everyone should do what they think is best for them. I'm not trying to sway anyone. Just answering why.

This generation of headsets, while an improvement over DK2, isn't a revolutionary improvement - except in the case of the Vive until Touch comes available which supposedly isn't until Q3 or maybe Q4. The resolution and SDE is better than DK2 in both but apparently not by a huge amount. Tracking is supposed to be better in the Rift but is full-room in the Vive and there are videos of twirling the Vive controllers on their safety straps with full tracking. Plus you get controllers now rather than waiting.

And I think that wait is significant for multiple reasons. The reviews I've seen weigh heavily in favor of the experience you get in the Vive with them. I know they aren't so important for flying or driving. I use a wheel and HOTAS for that. But for other things where I can involve family, they will be key. I have nieces and nephews, grand nieces and nephews, who will go nuts over Tiltbrush, Space Pirate Trainer, etc. That moves me from the nerdy uncle doing his VR stuff to the cool uncle that lets you paint and fight the evil empire, etc.

But the other reasons that wait is significant is that from everything I've read, this round of HMDs is looking to go clearly to the Vive and the reason is the controllers. I think support in the other stuff I like to do is inevitable because instead of being an also ran, it may just be the leader out the gate. I know that's speculation but there are a lot of people canceling the Rift and ordering Vive. No way to know the actual numbers, but there are lots of posts being made to that effect on all the boards. The general public is not so enthusiastic about sitting experiences without tracked controllers with the Vive to compare with with tracked controllers and the experiences that opens up. We in the flight and driving sim worlds are still a niche and no matter how good the Rift may be for that, even in the general flight sim world, acceptance remains low since it is something that has to be experienced to really get. I've posted a number of times on the flight sim boards about how VR adds so much to the experience and have been basically heckled about half the time.

And the last reason that I have that the wait for Touch is significant is that I really don't expect this generation of HMD to be that long-lived. Again, my speculation. But Oculus seems to have been caught pants down this generation and the response in the general reviews has been strongly to the Vive because of the controllers. When Oculus comes out with Touch it will really only be comparable to the Vive and not be the leap ahead that is required to win back the people going Vive. Likewise, HTC and Valve have the lead now which will go away to some extent when Oculus can deliver the Touch. Both of them have huge incentives to come out with gen 2 soon to either maintain a lead or regain a lead. Add to that that we already have two companies with eye tracking tech and support is going into drivers for foveated rendering, Pascal (and the AMD equivalent) is on the near horizon, and the technology will soon be in place to allow the jump in resolution that is always mentioned as a drawback to both HMDs in reviews now.

I've seen discussions of lens flare and such but they both will suffer from that due to the Fresnel lenses. Even if one has more flare than the other, I think from everything I've heard it can't be too big of a difference. There may be some ergonomic differences, but the DK2 is still the worst of CV, Vive, and DK2 by far and I've been quite fine flying for extended periods. Either Rift or Vive have to be better and again, small differences don't seem like a reason to forego the tracked controllers and experiences now.

So while going Vive is a bit of a gamble for flying and driving, I still have the DK2 and can run FlyInside/FSX/P3D and DCS just fine. I can't drive anyway since I really don't care for ProjectCars. Unfortunately Assetto Corsa quit updating the runtime. It will take them a while to get support for either Vive or Rift in place and their head said they are working hard on their PSVR release instead. I think they will come around, but don't know. I really, really like AC. It's almost as fun as flying for me and that means I really love it. :D

I just didn't see keeping the Rift and spending $600 for something only a bit better than what I have now. I'm sure FlyInside is really great with the CV, but so far Dan said Vive looks promising. I know that's not a guarantee but again, I still have the DK2. I had to make a decision because I'm pretty sure I was in first wave and Oculus had been saying that they would be arriving last Monday. I know I could have scalped it but there are reasons why I didn't want to do that. I could easily have bought both but it's just not necessary for me after thinking about it a lot.

Sorry for the wall of text, but you asked. :D My reasons only and everyone should make their own decisions.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Tony » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:47 am

Nice and informative post Robert. I'm certain that all of us in here are way above the mud slinging going on in other forums lol
For the simple reason of treatment by oculus with absolutely no answer from customer services I've cancelled my order and gone htc. No single point has swayed me on the hmd's other than for that sole reason. 530 pounds is a LOT of money for me and I've decided oculus are not having it !!!

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Next

Return to The Lounge