JoinFS multiplayer

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: JoinFS multiplayer

Postby G-PMEM » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:27 am

Robert wrote:Quick question - if you have a recording and start playing it back, and then select overdubbing, and then stop the overdubbing before you reach then end of the previous recording - i.e. start dubbing late and end it early - does that truncate the recording or does it keep the earliest start and latest finish?

If so, if you end overdubbing early, do the planes disappear or just stop where they are (or continue at constant speed) as they were and remain in the scene?

I'll end up testing this all out later anyway so only asking if it is a quick answer and you know off the top of your head.

But JoinFS is exactly what I have been looking for. Hopefully the formation teams will start using it and posting their contest runs as JoinFS files so people can watch and even practice with them!

Thanks for the comments, Robert.

Yes, overdubbing will effectively insert and overlay the new bits into the whole of the existing recording. Same as those old tape cassettes :)
I believe that the planes will disappear where that overdubbed recording had finished. Let me know if you have a suggestion on changing the way that works.

Tony wrote:Can the joinFS files be replayed with any other software like a video recorder ? And I cannot find the saved files anywhere ?

Tony

Not at the moment. But there's no reason why you couldn't play back in JoinFS and at the same time record using some other video or recorder program.

Sorry about the lost file. You have to do 'Save Recording', but I need to add a warning about closing without saving.

Robert wrote:Peter - would it be possible to include the option to have planes persist after their flights end? Reason I ask is that scenario I e-mail you about has a Pitts finish his routine and park. He then disappears when I stopped that recording even though other dubbed flights last longer. It would be cool to be able to just have it park and stay where it was instead of winking out. But that's OK too. Not sure how to best implement. If people end a recording while a plane is in the air, does it just halt and hang there or better to disappear? Too many fiddly features and it gets overly complex. Just mentioning.

I could re-enable the AI control. I'm not sure where it would go when flying, but when on the ground it would at least stay where it was. I could probably add a preference setting for it anyway.

Thanks, Pete
Peter
Windows 10, FSX:SE, P3D v4.1, i5 4670 3.4GHz, GTX 980, Vive, FI 1.82
G-PMEM

Re: JoinFS multiplayer

Postby Robert » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:42 pm

Hey guys, tidbit of information - I just tried AITrackerX with JoinFS and they play together! AITrackerX sees aircraft that JoinFS is replaying and you can move from plane to plane to see from their vantage points using the AITrackerX view system.

I have a message in to Oliver to see if he can add some more flexibility in the viewing, but it works as is now! :D

Edit - Oliver replied and added a feature to a beta branch and also told me the better way of doing this and it works great! You select the same plane as the one you want to look around from and then use Pilot view and follow the plane you want to follow. You probably want to set the distance value to negative (the P Params clickbox) to bring you back closer to the pilot position of the plane you are getting the pilot view of. You are kind of out on a stick in front of the plane you are doing the pilot view if you want to think of it that way. But your head tracking all works and you can look around as you want. I think this would be a great way to give VR "rides" to people who don't know how to fly too. You can build up whatever routine you want to let people ride along in and then put them in like this.

And what I also found is you can add planes to your formations or even build formations around lone planes that JoinFS is piloting using AITrackerX. This may be jumping ahead of what Peter has planned for AI but for those with AITrackerX, you get this functionality now.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Previous

Return to The Lounge