How powerful of a PC does one need to max out FSX?

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: How powerful of a PC does one need to max out FSX?

Postby Robert » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:53 pm

Hey Derek, maybe we can use that 60 fps limit to advantage. The FSX Thunderbirds guys told me that they set the frame rate limit to 30 fps to get rid of the jitters. In VR I think we want higher, but if you can limit to 60, that may do the same thing.

I was flying copters with Sharkku yesterday and my frames were right around 60 as we were flying and no jitters at all. His copter was rock steady.

I don't know for sure that was the cause, but I usually have jitters with other aircraft. Maybe something to experiment. And glad you like FSUIPC. Edit: the radio knobs actually do work in P3D. I wasn't properly selecting the radio on the mfd panel. Once I did it worked great. And I was able to tune to the .000 position. The increment just changes. Also, I used the increment/decrement with carry/borrow. Just my preference. You don't have to use carry/borrow and the two knobs for whole/fractions don't need to interact. But if you are short of knobs... :D
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby picnic » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:31 am

Monitor CPU temperature using CoreTemp, great little utility that also shows how fast your CPU is going at any one time.

You have't got Frame Sync on anywhere have you that limits the frames to 60? Never get close to 60 here so can't see if mine behaves in the same way :oops:
5820K@4.3Ghz . 16GB . 980ti . 4K display . Win10 Home 64bit . P3D v3.1 . OC 0.8
picnic

Postby Derek Speare » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:17 pm

picnic wrote:Monitor CPU temperature using CoreTemp, great little utility that also shows how fast your CPU is going at any one time.

You have't got Frame Sync on anywhere have you that limits the frames to 60? Never get close to 60 here so can't see if mine behaves in the same way :oops:

No, it's all off. It's only limited when a message window opens up. Closing them off "unlimits" the frame rate again. I use Open Hardware Monitor for temps and such. It's good and very comprehensive. I'm going to do another Linpack test and see the temps when it runs.

On a different note, I am installing P3d to do some testing with it and FlyInside. We'll see how it goes :)
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Postby Jst » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Derek: I am getting some excellent performances with my set up and one of the big factors I am finding is it depends on what aircraft you are using. I can get 55-65 \75 with graphics settings up high in FSX using FTX UK and something like the Iris Grob which looks great and that's with everything maxed out in FlyInside. You can gain 10fps with not using clouds. I don't overclock anything. Another thing I find makes a difference is running off a SSD drive with just FSX and P3D loaded into windows 7 I have windows 7 loaded on a different drive for anything else that I do.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS - i9-9900K 3.6GHz - Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4 3200MHz - AORUS RTX 2080Ti OC - 3 x 2TB - Samsung 970 Evo M.2 3.0 NVMe
Jst

Postby Derek Speare » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:46 pm

Jst wrote:Derek: I am getting some excellent performances with my set up and one of the big factors I am finding is it depends on what aircraft you are using. I can get 55-65 \75 with graphics settings up high in FSX using FTX UK and something like the Iris Grob which looks great and that's with everything maxed out in FlyInside. You can gain 10fps with not using clouds. I don't overclock anything. Another thing I find makes a difference is running off a SSD drive with just FSX and P3D loaded into windows 7 I have windows 7 loaded on a different drive for anything else that I do.

Yes, since I have been testing it is clear that the aircraft used has a significant impact on framerates. It's beginning to look like that the next "Official DSD Test System" will be built around an i7-5960X/GTX980ti/1tb SSD *sighs*

It's a seemingly unending cycle of throwing money to get more frame rates :?

System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

Derek Speare

Postby MarkJHarris » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:22 pm

Derek,

I run a similar system to Robert with very good results. RAM is not the issue. VAS limits are still 4GB as FSX is a 32bit program. Aircraft such as PDMG actually run as seperate programs on different threads and I suspect they are able to use memory addressing separate to FSX but I am not sure on this. I used to have 64gb but now only have 32gb. Plenty enough.

FSX is all about clock speeds as fundamentally it's a single thread 3 bit dinosaur......

DCS however. and X-Plane when I bother (no rift and not likely any time soon) make use of all you have to speed things up.
Mark
i7-5930K CPU @4.70mhz 32GB DDR4 RAM ASUS X99,GeForce GTX1080, SSDx5
Win10 1670 build, 353,30 Driver FTX Global, ASN, REX Soft Clouds. Aerosoft and PDMG.
Saitek Combat pedals, HOTAS Warthog stick and throttles. CV1 Oculus and crappy little TV.
MarkJHarris

Postby Derek Speare » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:07 pm

It's a balancing act with the old and new, isn't it? This machine has 64gb of ram on it for the reason that it's also tasked from time to time to run some pretty intensive Solidworks models, and that it does nicely :) I'm thinking that a GTX980 would be good and a second SSD for FSX and DCS would make two nice additions. The next box I build will have those parts in it.

Derek Speare

Previous

Return to The Lounge