Some info for multiplayer flying in one place...

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Some info for multiplayer flying in one place...

Postby Bruce_C » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:14 pm

Dave,

I'm in the UK but feel free to add me on steam, I'm always up for some MP

Bruce
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby Robert » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:13 pm

Hi Dave, Teamspeak is just a straight install. I'm not at my computer but it should be an exe file you just run to install it. Then just use the menu to connect to the server listed in the original post using the name or IP address. You will need to enter that by hand the first time but Teamspeak can remember it for you. The password is in that same post. Doing this on a phone so can't really multitask, but it should be self explanatory. Give it a go and wherever you get stuck, post again and we'll get you sorted. Pay attention on the password that the F and I are capitalized.

On the FSHost client thing, we still have something to figure out on multiplayer. We haven't been able to run it without jitters pretty bad and have kept going back to the regular FSX:SE multiplayer host to get the really smooth flight. The difference in experience is like night and day between jitters and no jitters. The advantage is that it is a dedicated server so you can just join whenever you want. If there is a session already up that you want to join in the FSX:SE server list, that just works too and you can join one of those if you want without FSHost. That capability is built in. But if you want to host a session in there, you will need to set up a thing called port forwarding on your router. There are guides online to talk you through it and what it actually means if you don't already know, but for many people it is a medium to advanced topic depending on your skill level. No hill for a climber but more than I can explain on a phone. Web search for "FSX:SE port forwarding". That should get you what you need.

Good luck! ;-)
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Bruce_C » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:14 am

I've been doing some reading up on FSHost and it does seem like there will always be a stutter, so it's no use for formation flying. As Robert says it's handy because there is always a session running, you can drop in a fly on the server with no restriction. It's also possible to change your FS settings whilst in the session which can't be done in a standard FSX multiplayer session and it's cross compatible with P3D though we haven't really experimented with that.
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV

Bruce_C

Postby Robert » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:51 am

Bruce - that's an excellent point about changing settings. Dave - for getting things set up and learning about multiplayer stuff, Teamspeak, and the like, that is very valuable. When you join a multiplayer session in FSX:SE or P3D you get kind of locked down while in that session and to tweak weather, pick a different plane, or even change time of day, you have to back out, fix, and rejoin. If you are hosting the session you have to end it to make changes and everyone has to rejoin once you set things back up. FSHost is great for getting sorted. FSX:SE isn't hard to use in multiplayer but there is a bit to get used to and FSHost can take out the pain of learning while you do. It's just like why Teamspeak is so handy. If you do voice in the multiplayer session you lose the ability to talk or listen to others when you aren't in session. But get Teamspeak working and comms are separate and unbroken.
Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:52 am

Bumping for the TeamSpeak info...
Robert

Postby Bruce_C » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:46 am

Just to add that I've decided to discontinue the MP server, FS Host is a great cross platform tool but sadly it's not possible to get judder free MP flying.

Bruce_C

Previous

Return to The Lounge