Flying the AS350B3e by Dreamfoil and Swiss Creations

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Flying the AS350B3e by Dreamfoil and Swiss Creations

Postby Tony » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:25 pm

The only "IT" I know has a scary clown in it :lol:
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tony » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Read your PM's Greyman, need help with the Hog ;)
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Greyman » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:02 pm

I've replied
ASUS Hero VIII Motherboard, I7-6700K, EVGA GTX1080FTW, 48GB RAM, Windows 10
Oculus Rift/Touch
Warthog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind pedals
Greyman

Postby Tony » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:54 am

I've answered your reply.
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Greyman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:47 am

Was that the one word answer? :)
Oculus Rift/Touch
Greyman

Postby Tony » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:10 pm

To the question? :)
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Greyman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Getting back track, i have been having a lot of fun flying the Bell 429 WLG, which is the wheeled version of the one linked above. The wheels appear to make the aircraft far more forgiving on landing and given my lack of skill at getting it on the ground, i need all the help i can get.

With that theme in mind, i was wondering if the strong self-centring spring on my Warthog flight stick might be making life harder for me. I had thought about getting a cyclic, but looking at the costs, decided that i would first try out a lower-cost option, in the form of a 20cm stick extension. https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com ... extension/

I could have just taken the spring out, but that would be quite invasive and would probably necessitate the purchase of another stick, as i wouldn't want to be swapping it in and out every time i changed from choppers to planes or vice versa.

I'll let you know how it goes, once i get it and have had a chance to try it out.
Oculus Rift/Touch
Greyman

Postby RCFlyer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:28 pm

I got a similar extension for the Warthog flight stick, I also took part of the spring out to reduce the strength of the spring. It made a large difference. I think you will like the result.

Regards,

Danny
RCFlyer

Postby Greyman » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:39 pm

That's what I'm hoping for, as the alternative would not only force me to remortgage my house, I'd need a larger one to accommodate the helicopter rig.

I guess that it is the niche nature of helicopter sims, but a cyclic, collective and pedals would cost over $1,500 and I can't see any technical reason for the increased cost relative to say the Warthog HOTAS.

I had actually wondered if anyone might make a cyclic stand, with the X and X axes built in, and allow the Warthog handle, or any other handle for specific choppers, to be fitted to it, but not yet it would appear. Again, not enough demand, I guess.
Oculus Rift/Touch
Greyman

Postby Rift Flyer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:29 am

I have tried extensions in the past. They do help with the spring force but the movement is completely unrealistic for helicopters and I was very disappointed with the results. In a real helicopter your forearm rests on your leg which anchors and supports your elbow. Most flying is done by only small precise movements from the wrist. Consider for a moment what happens when you extend your warthog. The throw increases dramatically. What was 10 or 15 degrees throw at the grip now becomes 40 degrees or even more depending on the length of the extension. You can use software to limit the registered movement of the warthog in an effort to regain realistic throw but by doing so you greatly reduce the precision (number of steps on the potentiometer are reduced by a factor of 4 or more). Without making these adjustments you will no longer be able to fly with your arm anchored on your lap making things a lot more difficult. With proper sim cyclics the throw is only 15 degrees at the grip AND it retains full precision by utilizing full throw of the sensors. This is achieved by gearing the potentiometer or utilizing precise Hall Effect sensors and magnets. That goes some way to explain the costs involved. They are not just a long joystick ;-)
System: Win 10 64bit | i7 7700k @ 5.1ghz | 32gb 3466mhz | Asus Strix 1080ti (388.59)| X-Plane 11.10R3 | FlyinsideXP 1.9
VR: Oculus Rift CV1 | Oculus Touch | Leap
Primary HID: Komodo Simulations cyclic, C-Tek anti torque pedals and collective
Rift Flyer

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge