Cross country dusk flight last night in weather

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Cross country dusk flight last night in weather

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:28 am

I saw there was weather up in the American Midwest stretching across Illinois so launched a trusty T28 at Oshkosh to head out into it. I have to run with preview to get the performance I need with graphics turned up and REX feeding me weather, but it looks so amazing. It was spotty rain in Oshkosh and I followed a Cessna out to the active. (The T28 has some nice canopy rain effects and you also get the patter sound.) Took off and flew south-southwest towards Madison at 4000 feet or so. It was hard to spot Madison at a distance but eventually the airport lit up and I did a few circles around the city and the twin lakes before heading southeast towards Chicago. As the sun went down the head and tail lights on the cars down below started lighting up as well as city lights. Even had occasional distant lightning. Flew through some approaches at other airports with AI lining up in their respective traffic patterns and nice halos around their lights in the clouds and by the time I got to Lake Michigan the full moon was rising. Headed south along the shore and went right by a Cessna flying somewhere or other and by the time I could see O'Hare the rain had stopped and the city was lit up with lights and cars on the roads. Buzzed O'Hare and then out again to the city buildings to see them all at night, and over to Midway. Got clearance on 13L for a full stop and picked up rain again as I was lining up. Landed and exited onto a taxiway with a heavy on final behind me. Got orders to hold position and he taxied right in front of me after he exited. Made my way over to parking and shut down over in a cluster of Cessnas, Maules, and such.

With the graphics turned up an flying at dusk into evening with weather, it's really an experience. I wish I could run the beta for this as radio coms would be easier, but it's not bad on the regular monitor and tipping up the DK2 as needed. I did start getting stutter over Chicago with all the autogen but it wasn't bad. It was a really cool flight. One of the most fun in a while. Highly recommend REX for the cloud, sky, and weather dynamics. Find some real world weather and go fly into it. :D
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Re: Cross country dusk flight last night in weather

Postby Nedo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:40 am

Hi Robert! Your flight sound very interesting :-)
I use REX with Softclouds too, i like this, but i also use ASN for weather, both work togheter.
Do you use just REX for everything??

R
Nedo
HTC Vive (sold Rift CV1) i7-4790K @4.4Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @2400 Mhz | GTX 1080 Phoenix "GLH" 8GB | Win10 x64 | SSD HD's only | Prepar3D 4
Nedo

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:31 pm

It was really fun and the whole dusk -> evening lighting thing in weather scud-running added another dimension.

I have been using REX for everything it can do but also run with ORBX scenery (global base and vector along with specific scenery areas and airports). I might be doubling up in some areas and need to spend more time sorting that out. I'm trying to improve performance and if anything is duplicated, I need to pick and turn it off elsewhere. I just have so much time for this craziness so do what I can. :D

Now that we have cars and trucks back, though, it really brings the scenery alive when flying low.
Robert

Postby Jorgensen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi Robert

Do you use?
- REX 4 Texture Direct
- Texture Direct/Soft Clouds
- REX Soft Clouds
- REX Essential+

Oh do you use fsx?

I'm having some performance issues running fsx and the pmdg 737ngx :-/

Rexsimulators have la lot of different addons, but I find it a bit difficult to figure out witch ones to get :-/

Ps. Rexsoftware has 50% off until 6th of November.
Jorgensen

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:23 pm

Hi Jorgensen, I have REX Essentials plus Overdrive. I have it registered for and fly both FSX and P3D. The nice thing about it with P3D is that at least 2.5 doesn't do importing of real world weather but REX basically does that and more. Unless I am doing something special, I prefer to fly using real world weather so was really excited when Tony told me about it and how it did just that. Works great too!
Robert

Return to The Lounge