Ride-alongs... Just a thought...

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Ride-alongs... Just a thought...

Postby Robert » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:19 pm

The problem is it's not easy to set someone in a virtual cockpit and tell them to give flight a try unless they already know how to fly or at least some kind of idea of how to do it. I put my wife in my HMD and had to fly it on the mirror window which wasn't easy as she looked around. I've put her and others in Assetto Corsa with easy to drive cars, and everyone is kind of scared when they do it. I don't know if it's just foreign, too real, or what, but she does think it's pretty cool though and maybe with some kind of guided experiences, she might want to give it a go. If she (or anyone else) was in their own rig, they can look around to their heart's content while I fly it around. They can also take control and do things and if they get in trouble, I can just take it back. VR crashing does get to people and they don't like it.

Tony and I did some experimenting the other night with sharing cockpits and it works really, really well. Kind of spooky to be sitting in an airplane as someone else flies it. Very soon the consumer HMDs will be going on sale and as tempting as it is for now to sell my DK2 (prices are amazingly high on eBay), I'm not going to sell it. I'm going to build a system for shared cockpit flight. As parts accumulate as they always do, I thought what would be really cool for showing off flight sim VR would be to build out another system, put it on the network, and set it up with the DK2 so when friends or relatives come over it can be set up in the shared cockpit and I can take them flying. Especially cool when others are online for multiplayer where they can see other planes in the air flying alongside.

The shared cockpit sim wouldn't need to be that powerful since I wouldn't load it up with ORBX, REX, and such. Just a mostly stock install with FlyInside and the DK2. I would need another Windows copy, Steam, and FSX:SE though. With FSX:SE on sale at unbelievably low prices occasionally, the biggest issue would be Windows. But that's not too bad and I think the nieces and nephews would go nuts and make it much easier to show them what flying looks like.

That's the plan, at least... :D
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Re: Ride-alongs... Just a thought...

Postby Bruce_C » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:22 pm

Thats a good idea. My macbook will run FSX..
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Return to The Lounge