Assetto Corsa Racing

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Assetto Corsa Racing

Postby Tony » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:00 am

Well I finally got it running in the rift and all I can say is wow !!! What a feeling sitting in a racing car looking around you on the grid. Does induce adrenaline :)
Bit messy how I got it working ! Reverted back to 0.6.0.1 and set the rift in extended mode and main monitor. When game starts I had to shift+win+leftarrow to move the menu onto my monitor then press drive and hey presto !!! Still tinkering and I'm sure there is a much easier way. At the moment the brightness is way to bright but reading forums, there is loads of mods and tinkering to be done :)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Re: Assetto Corsa Racing

Postby Derek Speare » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:04 am

AC Is good, though you have to do some "special moves" to get the Oculus going with it. PCARS has a rather good Oculus experience. You have to use the 0800 runtimes with it, however. Once iRacing updates to DX11 they will have 0700+ runtime support, something I am greatly anticipating.
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Postby Jst » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:52 am

Have you tried iracing on the Oculus? I have it running and it is pretty damned impressive not such fancy graphics but a clearer image , I think AC as got the edge on appearance compared to project cars but like many sims a bit of a pain to get going but at least you do have full menu access on the monitor once AC is up and running.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS - i9-9900K 3.6GHz - Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4 3200MHz - AORUS RTX 2080Ti OC - 3 x 2TB - Samsung 970 Evo M.2 3.0 NVMe
Jst

Postby Jst » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:54 am

I think the page up and page down button changes the brightness...
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS - i9-9900K 3.6GHz - Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4 3200MHz - AORUS RTX 2080Ti OC - 3 x 2TB - Samsung 970 Evo M.2 3.0 NVMe
Jst

Postby Tony » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Glad you mentioned that Jst :) the washout brightness was doing my head in !!! I'll give that a try tonight ;)

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Avenga76 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:18 am

A few tips for if you want to play career with the Oculus Rift.

They have no in game HUD with the rift so you have no information about what lap it is or what position you are in. It is even worse in time trial because you can't see how much time you have left or how many points, it doesn't even tell you when the time trial starts.

There are a few hotkeys which you should bind for the Oculus which makes it a lot better.

Look left: restart session
Look behind: start race
Look right: exit session
Celebrate: recenters the rift

Bind these to your wheel and it should make things a lot easier.

For a race I found this is the best way to do it.

When you start a race it will instantly start the countdown to the for the race, this means you only have 7 seconds to get ready. I find it is easier to press the "Look left: restart session" this will restart you on the grid but won't start the countdown. This will give you as much time as you need to get ready then click the "Look behind: start race" then it will start the 7 second countdown to the start of the race. When the race is over press the "Look right: exit session" button and it will take you back to the main screen and the results.

In Time trials it is a real pain because the clock starts as soon as you are in the car, even before the headset warning sign is gone.

For Time trials I find it is best to leave your mouse hovering over the "Start Engine" button, then put the rift on and click the mouse to start the time trial. As soon as you get in to the car the timer will start so just shift up and floor it as soon as you get in, don't wait for the headset warning to disappear. Then once you are moving you can recenter the oculus etc. You won't have any display for how long you have left in the time trial so just keep racing until the screen goes black and it shows an outside view of your car. Press "Look right: exit session" and it will take you back to the results page so you can see how well you did.

The "Look left: restart session" button doesn't restart the timer in time trial so it doesn't work with the rift, if you want to try again or restart the time trial you need to exit the session and start it again.

There is an easy way to switch runtimes using batch files

Here is guide on how to do it.

Step 1: Uninstall 0.8.0.0

Step 2: Install 0.6.0.1

Step 3: Copy the contents of C:\program files (x86)\Oculus to another folder i.e  D:\games\Oculus\Runtimes\Oculus_0601

Step 4:  Uninstall 0.6.0.1

Step 4a: Repeat step 2-4 for any other runtimes you want to do

Step 5: reinstall 0.8.0.0

Step 6: Create a batch file to activate 0.6.0.1 and call it something like 0601.cmd

Code: Select all
@echo off
Echo ***Switching to runtime 0.6.0.1***
Echo ***Stopping Config Util if running***
taskkill /f /im  OculusConfigUtil.exe
Echo ***Stopping OVR Server if running***
taskkill /f /im  OVRServer_x64.exe
Echo ***Stopping OVR Service if running***
net stop OVRService
Echo ***Disabling Direct Display***
"C:\program files (x86)\Oculus\Tools\DirectDisplayConfig.exe" off
Echo ***Starting 0.6.0.1 OVR Server***
start ""  D:\games\Oculus\Runtimes\Oculus_0601\Service\OVRServer_x64.exe
Echo ***Starting 0.6.0.1 Config Util***
start ""  D:\games\Oculus\Runtimes\Oculus_0601\Tools\OculusConfigUtil.exe

Step 6a: Create additional batch files for your other runtimes and change the folder name in the last 2 lines of the previous batch file

Step 7: Create a batch file to activate 0.7.0.0 and call it something like 0800.cmd

@echo off
Echo ***Switching to runtime 0.8.0.0***
Echo ***Enabling Direct Display***
"C:\program files (x86)\Oculus\Tools\DirectDisplayConfig.exe" on
Echo ***Starting 0.8.0.0 OVR Server***
net start OVRService
Echo ***Starting 0.8.0.0 Config Util***
start ""  "C:\program files (x86)\Oculus\Tools\OculusConfigUtil.exe"

Step 8: Run the desired batchfile as administrator and that will close down the

Here is the batch file I use for 0.6.0.0

@echo off
Echo ***Switching to runtime 0.6.0.0***
Echo ***Stopping OVR Service if running***
net stop OVRService
Echo ***Disabling Direct Display***
"C:\program files (x86)\Oculus\Tools\DirectDisplayConfig.exe" off
Echo ***Starting 0.6.0.0 OVR Server***
start ""  D:\games\Oculus\Runtimes\Oculus_0600\Service\OVRServer_x64.exe
Echo ***Starting 0.6.0.0 Config Util***
start ""  D:\games\Oculus\Runtimes\Oculus_0600\Tools\OculusConfigUtil.exe

I find it works well. I did find that if you run the built in VR demo then you can’t switch back to 0.7.0.0, a reboot fixes it. If you don’t launch the VR demo then you can switch between runtimes without a problem.

I tested it with Project Cars running in 0.7.0.0 then AC running 0.6.0.1 then some other demos running in direct 0.6.0.0 and then back to Project Cars in 0.7.0.0 and they all worked great.
Avenga76

Postby Tony » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:24 am

What a fantastic post :) many many thanks for taking the time to post that , a huge help :)

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:33 am

I've bought and installed Project cars after reading this thread, because it seems to be the only one 0.8-ready. I've run a single race, and, well, it's great. Going to get a bit more into it later today.
i5-4440 3.10GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit), Windows 8.1, Oculus Rift DK2,Runtime 1.4, Leap Motion, Saïtek X52, three cats and a corn snake.
Phil_Giordana_FCD

Postby Nedo » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:17 am

I know its about AC, but i love pCars (ok i'm a old beta tester fanboy, started driving pcars with Dk1! long time ago).
If you run 0.8 runtime and like it hassle free, just start pCars, thats it :-)
(some things still dont work in VR like shadows, tho. And you should deactivate the crowds and maybe the highres grass
to gain more fps)

Nedo
HTC Vive (sold Rift CV1) i7-4790K @4.4Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @2400 Mhz | GTX 1080 Phoenix "GLH" 8GB | Win10 x64 | SSD HD's only | Prepar3D 4
Nedo

Return to The Lounge