Vive delayed

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Vive delayed

Postby Sharkku » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:07 pm

In case someone in here isn't trawling the Oculus subreddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comment ... ve_update/
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Re: Vive delayed

Postby Derek Speare » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:59 pm

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Postby Tony » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:16 pm

A very big and I expect a very expensive ouch Derek !!! Oculus are going to reap the rewards if they release in Q1 like promised as I think many prospective vive users will jump ship and go for the rift CV1 :o

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Nedo » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:34 am

Now Oculus & Sony are left, and i still believe Sony is the more expirenced company,
i didnt waited for Vive anyway only for the Rift CV1, i hoped (still hoping) preorders
will start 2015, thats why i sold my almost 2 year old Dk2 on ebay.
If i have now to wait until March, well thats live ;-)
At least i got x2 the price of a new Dk2.

Nedo
HTC Vive (sold Rift CV1) i7-4790K @4.4Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @2400 Mhz | GTX 1080 Phoenix "GLH" 8GB | Win10 x64 | SSD HD's only | Prepar3D 4
Nedo

Postby Robert » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:12 am

I'm thinking it will all be fine. And maybe Dan can snag one of the new "dk2" dev kits that HTC is giving out to see what support is like for Vive and get that ready. HTC also announced preorders the end of Feb with retail starting in April. What they didn't say is if preorders will fill before the retail stuff starts but I think they would. So maybe March for hands on with Vive but that's just a guess.

Palmer also said "a few months" on the Rift so they sound like March deliveries too. They still haven't released the 1.0 SDK so there is going to be some time needed in the Oculus camp to get ready for retail too. It could be close to a simultaneous launch or pretty close between the two companies.

As much as I wanted to get hold of one of them in time for the holiday, it would also be a step back in some ways. With higher resolution and frame rates, I'd have to turn down settings in FSX and P3D to run either of them. I'm really curious about the higher frame rates and what that does to FlyInside flying, but turning down settings means less autogen and a less rich environment to fly in. It's a mixed bag for now.

What I'm looking forward to is the one-two punch of the retail HMD versions and even more GPU power with either SLI actually happening or the new upcoming AMD and Nvidia GPUs. And we still need Dan to work in support for the new HMDs before we can use them.

If I had been able to snag a Vive I'm afraid it would be just sitting there for a while anyway only being able to be swapped in and used for demos occasionally until we got more support going for flying. :D
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Return to The Lounge