Flyinside Demo - Black screen flickering

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Flyinside Demo - Black screen flickering

Postby zain1291 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:30 am

Hi flyinside team

First off awesome work on the product.
I have been having issues with it but whatever I did get out of it felt amazing. Can't wait to sort this issue out and just sit back and enjoy this!

Specs: i7 3770k 3.5 GHz
Gtx 970
32 GB RAM

I got my vive couple days ago and tried p3d with this product as first I had camera issue.. going through this forum found ezdok is not supported to restored the cameras.cfg and got that out of the way. Now what I m seeing is black flickering after the flight loads. I tried a lot of combinations provided in the forum.. tried with pretty much minimum setting possible.

I really want to purchase this product in fact to be honest this was one of the biggest reason I got the VR for simming. Please let me know if there is anything specific I am missing here.

Thank you!
Zain
zain1291

Re: Flyinside Demo - Black screen flickering

Postby Bruce_C » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:57 am

Hi and welcome to the forum,

I'm not a Vive owner but I understand Dan is working on improving performance but in the meantime I think the only option is to reduce your sim setttings.

Cheers,

Bruce
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby zain1291 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:25 am

Thanks for ur prompt response :). stated above I have tried with all sliders set to minimum with default scenery. Nothing is helping however.

Zain
zain1291

Postby Robert » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:47 am

Hi Zain,

It's not just the FSX/P3D sliders. There are graphics settings in FlyInside you can try setting lower, and also check your Nvidia settings and make sure things like the various AA settings are off and pre-rendered frames are set to 1. Not sure how new you are to VR but there are a fair number of places to look for optimizations.

Once you turn everything down, if you don't get the flickers any more, you can start turning things up that are important to you.

Other things to do are use task manager to see if your CPU is getting maxed out. You'll need to expand it out to where you see all the logical cores and real cores to see if one core is saturating and slowing everything down. Also, if your CPU can do hyperthreading, try turning that off in your bios. Few really need it and what it does is allow other tasks to steal time away from saturated cores. If you have CPU cores running near max, hyperthreading can hurt you.

And get/use a utility to monitor CPU temps. There have been a few reports of bad performance that has turned out to be dust-clogged heat sink/fans which then cause the CPU to throttle because of high temps. Check your GPU too. VR puts a high load on GPUs and if your fans aren't set to ramp up quick you could be having your GPU throttle.

Lastly, your computer may have other processes running. Don't know your level of experience but lots op people load up their systems with all sorts of auto notify utilities, get loaded with adware, even malware, and other junk that robs cycles from the CPU and in VR you need as many as you can get. Other things can load up the system like lots of old junk in the Windows temp directory. I always clean out anything over a week old. Windows indexing long lists of stuff in there makes systems slow to boot and just dumps performance in general.

Not sure how your CPU compares to the more current stuff but it might be a little old and slow. I might be confusing it some but just check CPU benchmarks in general and keep in mind that FSX is very demanding of CPU and will only run as fast as your CPU in most cases. To run it well you need the fastest CPU you can run.

Hope that gets you going. Flickers are just a sign that your system can't keep up so it's really just seeing what you can do to optimize everything.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby zain1291 » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:46 am

Hi Robert,

Thank you so much for your response! I love how active this forum is and appreciate your help.. I come from a programming / IT background so I do understand your detailed post.
I wanted to confirm that this setting "Enable Always-On Reprojection" worked for me. Highest settings working smooth no flickering anymore.

Off to purchasing the product now.. :)

Cheers
Zain
zain1291

Return to HTC Vive