DCS update with big changes I think

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

DCS update with big changes I think

Postby Robert » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:06 pm

I haven't been in DCS for a bit but with FlyInside not working so well with FSX and the Vive, I decided to give it a go. There was a big update today and I'm not showing 1.5.4.54596. Axel - I don't recall - does that bring us up to the version you are running?

Anyway, you now are in a hanger next to the SU-27 as you set up your mission. Tool tips in the cockpit are pretty obnoxious as they are a big flyout instead just big enough for the text they contain. There is a whole menu for VR in the settings menu and you can adjust pixel density there. Smooth, smooth, smooth. I got zero judder today. None. Zip. Nada. May have bee where it put me as before I only had it when there were a lot of buildings around - e.g. a near and far city both in view just beyond the airport buildings. And the views were beautiful!

Seems you can't have a zoom on the joystick. I don't remember if I had that before, but even though I can bind the buttons, they don't seem to work in cockpit. Might be the VR stuff locking that out. Spoiled from FlyInside I guess.

Anyway, DCS is a very nice experience now in the Vive. I'm very impressed.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Re: DCS update with big changes I think

Postby Sharkku » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:53 am

Yep, the beta I was running is almost the same as what you've got now, Robert. Told you it was worth it! ;) But the tooltips are obnoxious, I give you that. And I've got a few graphics bugs with grass/clutter flickering in one eye, and heat haze only showing in one eye. But the VR features are nice. I'll be home tonight, will check if we have the same versions!
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Re: DCS update with big changes I think

Postby Robert » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:13 am

Well, on bugs it sounds like they are the same! I also noticed the jet exhaust shimmer in just one eye and same for some of the grass.

But all in all really a great update. Once they clean up the bugs DCS is going to go back to getting more of my time for sure!

I tried getting out of the cockpits in a couple of the planes - Hawk and P-51 - and the 51 is beautiful and fully rendered if you get out of it and look it over. The Hawk is mostly there but some panels in the cockpit extend out through the skin.

Was just thinking I really need to try getting out of the Huey and check that out! Fingers crossed its a good full render as that might be amazing to check out like that!
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Return to The Lounge