Can't find fsx.exe even though it's in the same folder

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Can't find fsx.exe even though it's in the same folder

Postby stupiddimbulb » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:48 pm

I installed this to the steam folder for fsx, but the installer says "flyinside was unable to launch fsx.exe." I saw a reddit post that said to "backspace" "Microsoft Flight Simulator X" out of the installer, but I have no idea what that means, and when I installed flyinside, I pointed it to the steam directory. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
stupiddimbulb

Re: Can't find fsx.exe even though it's in the same folder

Postby Bruce_C » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:06 pm

Yes, it sounds like you may have installed to the wrong directory? Can you reinstall checking that you have the correct directory (perhaps copy and paste the address to be sure) to the folder that includes the FSX.exe?
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby stupiddimbulb » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:43 am

Yeah, that didn't work. They're both in the same directory, and I'm getting the same error.
stupiddimbulb

Postby admin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Any chance you could upload a screenshot of the installer window? That could provide some insight :)
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby maxdreamland » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:30 pm

Not sure this will help you, but maybe you get lucky.

I recently had a similar problem where after a complete reinstall of FSX:SE most of my addon installers where not able to detect that FSX was installed and always asked me to point them to the FSX directory.

After some trial and error I found out that the problem was a missing .cfg file in the .../AppData/FSX Folder (I don't recall the exact path). that .cfg file gets automatically created when you start FSX for the first time via the fsx.exe. But i never did that after the reinstall, i always used the FlyInside.exe to start the simulator. And for some reason that I can't explain that .cfg file gets not created (or at least not at that location) if you start it via the FlyInside.exe.

long story short, maybe this applies to you? have you started FSX via the fsx.exe at least once? maybe after that FlyInside will be able to find the path to the fsx.exe, too?
6700K intel cpu - ASUS GTX 980 Ti Strix - 16gb ram 3000hz DDR4 on a ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Extreme mobo - 400gb INTEL 750 Series SSD - 160gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD - 500gb HDD - Win 10 x64 - P3D ver 3.3 and FSX-SE
maxdreamland

Return to Oculus Rift CV1