Aircraft Viewpoint

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Aircraft Viewpoint

Postby RetiredFE » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:08 pm

Tony, I have searched everything I can find on the bios and I can't find anything anywhere about hyperthread. I'm not familiar with dx11 or 12. I don't know what that is.
Intel i5 4590, EGVA GTX 1070 latest driver, 16GB Ram, Samsung 250 GB 850 EVO SSD, Windows 10x64,Oculus Rift, FSX,Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, Rex Texture direct + Soft Clouds
RetiredFE

Postby Bruce_C » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:50 am

I don't think the 4590 has hyperthreading so we can rule that out.

What kind of FPS are you getting and does the FPS drop when you get the flickering? (both figures from the FlyInside tag which appears when you press 'interact' button )

Does the flickering happen more in certain areas or with certain aircraft? It might be worth checking a flight with a default aircraft and some standard scenery. Do you have any add ons (other than aircraft and scenery) installed?

Bruce
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby RetiredFE » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:40 am

Bruce, it's really hard to check the frame rate as this happens so fast and so randomly. For the most part my framerates are running around 25/85 on average. I have no other addons execpt aircraft and scenery. This computer was built specifically for FSX. It's so random, I've tried using default aircraft, dropping the scenery sliders to zero, and so far nothing is working. I don't understand why it starts flickering as soon as I start FlyInside though. I wonder if it may be an Oculus Rift problem. Although, I haven't experienced anything in an Oculus program. I have also rolled back the video driver, that didn't work, I tried uninstalling and reinstalled the new driver and that also did not work. Totally out of ideas.
Intel i5 4590, EGVA GTX 1070 latest driver, 16GB Ram, Samsung 250 GB 850 EVO SSD, Windows 10x64,Oculus Rift, FSX,Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, Rex Texture direct + Soft Clouds
RetiredFE

Postby Bruce_C » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:41 am

It's certainly an odd one. I do think you should consider tweaking your FS settings a little though. You need to be hitting an average of 90+ Async FPS (the second number) to avoid stutter in the rift in my experience. Which settings you tweak to achieve this is a personal choice but I would start by reducing autogen and scenery complexity.

What resolution and AA settings are you using in FlyInside itself?
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby RetiredFE » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:33 pm

Ok Bruce. I took every single slider in FSX to 0. There were no trees, buildings, clouds, virtually nothing as far as scenery goes. But I went into everything and set the sliders to 0. Before I even took off it was flickering. I monitored the frame rates as often as I could and even had a flicker while monitoring the framerate. Framerates were consistently 28/94. Even during the flickering. I then bumped up all of the sliders to 50% and consistently tried to monitor the framerates. Still consistently 28/94. Now my question is, could there be a bug in FlyInside? Why do I immediately get flickering just as soon as I bring up Flyinside? I have not done anything and it's flickering before I can select an airplane, change locations or anything. I still believe it is a problem with the Nvidia driver. I used FlyInside before I updated the driver and had no problem whatsoever. Since then it has been a nightmare.
RetiredFE

Postby Tony » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:53 pm

Interestingly someone else on here is having problems with the 1070 !!!

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby RetiredFE » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:41 pm

Here is the settings on FlyInside resolution:3840x2374/AA is set to ultra/MSAA 8. Before I changed anything I went in to Nividia control panel and changed the DSR setting from 4.00 to 3.00. It made a tremendous difference. I have been flying for almost an hour now and have had only 2 flickers. Most of my slider settings in FSX are back to being set at 3/4. So "IF" the DSR setting in Nvidia control panel is the problem, not being a computer guru, what is this telling us? Is it just that my system isn't enough to handle the full 4.0 DSR setting, and I need to tone it down?
RetiredFE

Postby Tony » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:05 pm

I think the problem you're running into is DSR is for your monitor and not your rift. This may be the issue. Disable DSR and get the Oculus sdk and run the debug tool (look for demo on youtube) set the pixel density at 1.2 to start then work up until your card can't handle anymore. Usually 1.5 should be fine for a 1070. Let us know how you get on ?

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby RetiredFE » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:36 pm

Hey Tony, I did as you said and the good news is, (1) a little better framerate, (2) Everything in FSX got a bit clearer, I can now clearly read most every guage and GPS. Bad news is flickering is still occuring. However it is not nearly as bad as it was in the beginning. Occasional flicker here and there now. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that I'm going to have flickering no matter what. But it is not nearly as bad as it was when this thread was first started. I really appreciate you and Bruce helping me out. I know it's been a real pain trying to figure this out but I'm now at the point where the flickering is tolerable and I'm not ready to give up. Maybe I'll eventually get this figured out. Again, thanks to both of you for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
Rodger
RetiredFE

Postby chris » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:04 am

yep I had the same problem exactly
I ended up buyin ww w . i n a t e c k . c o m (the red one) works beautifully with dk2 rift and sensor
http://www.inateck.com/pci-e-to-usb-3-0-cards.html
win 10 pro
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 32gb RAM
Available OS Memory: 32gb RAM
Name ASUS GTX 1080 ti Xplane 11 05r2 11.30b7
orion LM very latest
Oculus CV!
oddyssy+ hmd
1000 watt psu
chris

Previous