Severe graphic errors

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Severe graphic errors

Postby eDude » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:44 pm

Hi guys,

just unpacked my Rift CV1 and tried FlyInside FSX. Unfortunately, I have extreme graphics artefacts, view jumping back and forth, parts of the scene rendered in gray, etc.. It is rather difficult to explain, but it is unusable. My setup:

Intel i7 6700K
32 GB RAM
NVidia GTX690 with 368.81
Latest Oculus Drivers (installed today)
Win 10 64 bit

I tried with Majestic's Q400 and a stock aircraft, same behavior. I have ASN, FSUIPC and Rex Texture direct + Soft Clouds installed.

Anything I might be doing wrong? Is there a magic FSX.cfg option to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
eDude
eDude

Re: Severe graphic errors

Postby Bruce_C » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:52 pm

Welcome to Fly Inside.

You can try to delete (backup) your FSX CFG and let FS regenerate it, it's solved other issues so might be worth a try.

You mention your rift is new, is it working ok with other software? Any tracking or setup issues elsewhere?
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby eDude » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi Bruce,

thank you for your suggestions! I actually just fixed my problems by disabling the Multi-GPU mode in the NVidia control panel (the GTX690 being a dual-GPU card). It seems FlyInside does not like multi-GPU setups, which is slightly annoying as now I have to dis- and enable that all the time. Will be buying it nevertheless ;)

Cheers,
eDude
eDude

Postby Tony » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:49 pm

And for your cv1 that card will be a bit weak :( the min specs for cv1 is a 970 card. Most programs are not sli capable at this time. Let us know how you get on anyhow ;)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby eDude » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:01 pm

Hi Tony, hi guys,

after my first two circuits in the Q400, here are my impressions so far, starting with the negative ones:

Rift:

The somewhat older graphics card is not a problem at all, frame rates were good (i.e. 90 and constant) with the second highest resolution (forgot what it was) and I could set the virtual desktop popouts to 25 fps without problems. Two things were rather noticable: the low resolution is apparent, I could make out single pixels. Reading displays is not possible without popping them out on moving them in front of the yoke. Might be connected to me wearing glasses, so some tweaking might improve that. Also, I get a lot of godrays in the dark cockpit (night flight) from the white pdf checklist, which is quite distracting.

FlyInside:

Two things could use improvement: first, the mouse: I do not like the fact that it moves with my view, because that means I have to hold my head very still to use the mouse wheel to dial in altitudes and such. In connection with the resolution problems from above, I found myself holding my head very awkwardly to see both the PFD (with the altitude setting) and the knob on the FGCP, and I would often lose the knob under the mouse and have to look back and forth. Quite frustrating if you are in a hurry to change the altitude. What is even worse is that if the mouse moves over a virtual desktop window, the mouse stops moving with the view. So what would happen is that I would look around and my mouse would get trapped in a popout somewhere and I would end up having to look for it and ultimately recenter it because I could not find it in time. Again, very frustrating under pressure. As a feature suggestion, I would propose an option which decouples the mouse from the view. If that is not possible, I would suggest moving the mouse with the view also in the virtual desktop windows. If that is also not possible, bad luck for me :D

The second thing are the virtual desktop in-cockpit windows: I had quite a hard time setting up a layout where I could see checklists and charts without them being in the way. However, they seem to have a mind of their own sometimes and move around after a trip to the menu. Also, I noticed a lot of flashing of windows below the windows being displayed, which was quite distracting.

That being said, flying with the Rift and FlyInside was incredible! It was so great having the depth, especially because of the contrast between the tiny Q400 cockpit and the wide open view out the window. And looking back around to look at the wing and these giant propellers (I never realized how big they were!), turning on the wing inspection light and see it light up in the dark, absolutely awesome. Thank you so much for creating FlyInside and making this possible!

The quirks will take some getting used to, but as I am usually flying shared cockpit, its probably not showstopping. I am predicting many Rift-enabled flights :)

Cheers,
eDude
eDude

Postby Sharkku » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:32 am

eDude wrote:Two things could use improvement: first, the mouse: I do not like the fact that it moves with my view, because that means I have to hold my head very still to use the mouse wheel to dial in altitudes and such. In connection with the resolution problems from above, I found myself holding my head very awkwardly to see both the PFD (with the altitude setting) and the knob on the FGCP, and I would often lose the knob under the mouse and have to look back and forth. Quite frustrating if you are in a hurry to change the altitude. What is even worse is that if the mouse moves over a virtual desktop window, the mouse stops moving with the view. So what would happen is that I would look around and my mouse would get trapped in a popout somewhere and I would end up having to look for it and ultimately recenter it because I could not find it in time. Again, very frustrating under pressure. As a feature suggestion, I would propose an option which decouples the mouse from the view. If that is not possible, I would suggest moving the mouse with the view also in the virtual desktop windows. If that is also not possible, bad luck for me
I completely empathize with this! Actually, Dan made a "Sticky mouse"-mode that worked like you suggest after suggestion from me and others, but disabled it since it slowed down performance or made the code complicated or something like that. He said he could bring it back as an option if enough people requested it. I think it worked very well, and I would be missing it sorely if I hadn't bought a Leap a while ago. Now I rarely use the mouse, but the Leap instead.
CPU: i7-7700K @4.6 GHz, GPU: GTX1080Ti, RAM: 16 GB, OS: Win10 64-bit, HMD: Rift CV1
Software: FSX:SE, FFS, Nvidia driver: 391.35, Oculus runtime: public test channel, FlyInside 1.8013 beta

Beta tester and site mod
Sharkku

Postby Joby33y » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:16 am

Which version of leap, and how does it work ? Is this the way to go instead of the mouse?
MSI Aegis i7 7700 3.6GHz, 32Gb DRAM, Asus Turbo 1080 Ti, P3D v3.4, v4, XP11, Win 10, Rift
Joby33y

Postby slipstream » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:16 pm

I didn't realise the mouse followed your head movement around the cockpit. Are we talking about the flashing mouse, arrow cursor? How do you get the cursor to appear, as it just shows up at random times for me.
slipstream

Postby admin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Slipstream:
Mouse cursor will follow head movement. The mouse appears when you move it, fades out after a few seconds if you leave it still. You can bind a button to recenter your mouse, especially helpful if you often lose track :)
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Return to Oculus Rift CV1