Crash to Desktop, no error messages

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Crash to Desktop, no error messages

Postby boeing100 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:12 am

Hi

Received my Oculus Rift CV1 headset yesterday and of course one of the first things I wanted to try is Flyinside for Prepar3D. Downloaded the demo, installed no problem.

When I launch it from the desktop, I will see the prepar3d initial loading screen for about 15 seconds, it will then disappear and nothing else will happen. Though it does seem to crash, I can see that Prepar3d is still actually running in the background apps, however there's no icon I can click on in the quick launch menu to select it. I don't see any particular error message, just a crash to desktop essentially with the software still running in the background. When looking into the Rift headset, there's nothing displaying either.

Any ideas on how I could resolve this ? any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!
boeing100

Re: Crash to Desktop, no error messages

Postby Tony » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:27 am

Hi mate and welcome. Any addons running ? Ezdok doesn't work and neither does sli. Is it a fresh install of p3d ? If not save the p3d.cfg and move it then let p3d build a new config and see if that helps ?

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby boeing100 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply.

I don't use ezdok, nor do I use SLI (only have one GTX980 which works fine for my needs just now).

It's not a fresh install and I do have a number of add ons including FSUIPC. That would be the only "module" type addon I use, the rest is scenery from Orbx, aircraft from Aersoft or PMDG etc, nothing that I would imagine can interfere.

I'm wt work just now so will try the CFG file trick and report back to see if that helps.

Thanks!
boeing100

Postby boeing100 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:22 pm

ok so I have now deleted my CFG file (saved it somewhere else first). Still the same issue, though now inside the Rift headset i get a message that says "sorry Prepar3D.exe is taking a while to load". Left it there for quite a while but nothing actually starts.

Any thoughts?
boeing100

Postby Tony » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Without using flyinside, start up p3d and set up a flight using a stock aircraft and setup a stock airfield then make sure you are in virtual cockpit, save the flight making sure it's your default flight then save. Exit p3d then restart. Make sure you have unknown sources ticked in oculus home and have that running in the back ground then restart flyinside. Let us know how it goes. If that doesn't work then go to store page and email Dan and he should get back to you ASAP. Might be a bug mate ???

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby boeing100 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:03 am

Sadely, i've tried to launch Prepar3D directly without clikcing through Flyinside and have the same CTD issue. This never happened before I installed Flyinside. I've tried unisnstalling Flyinside, copying back my original CFG file, launching without the CFG file, but makes no difference. Looks like Flyinside completely corrupted my install, so not happy at all. Going to have to uninstall the whole lot and spend hours re-installing everything. For the sake of it I will try to install Flyinside as the first add on on a fresh install to see if it works, but still very disappointed that this would corrupt my current setup.
boeing100

Postby Tony » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:41 am

Bit of a strange one this ? Flyinside only adds a small file and it shouldn't interfere with any files of p3d. Unsure of what's causing the crash mate? If you continue to have problems then Dan can view your pc for you to check for any flyinside bugs ;)

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby admin » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:20 pm

Rather than reinstalling everything, can you try cleaning out the files which FlyInside affects? This will hopefully bring your installation back to life, as FlyInside shouldn't corrupt your Prepar3D install.

1. Uninstall FlyInside - You can verify that this worked by checking if "d3d11.dll" was successfully removed from your Prepar3D folder.
2. Delete C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\FlyInside - clears out all FlyInside config
3. Rename "C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin" so that Prepar3D generates fresh configuration files
4. Rename "C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin" - This will force Prepar3D to recompile shaders. It's possible that FlyInside corrupted a shader

Let me know if the issue persists after following those steps.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby boeing100 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:56 am

Hi Dan

Thanks and apologies for the late reply. I decided to reinstall Prepar3d from scratch. Once I did, Flyinside worked perfectly fine.

My only issues is more related to performance. I've tried playing around with settings but it doesn't seem to have made a whole lot of difference to FPS. I normally use Prepar3D will all sliders set to max, and in 4K resolution on a monitor with everything at least running at 40FPS. I've tried default aircraft, vs PMDG or A2A and there's not really a huge differnce in FPS. In terms of scenery I use most of the popular ORBX products like Global, Europe LP, EU Scotland, Etc.

I think what's really lacking here is a guide, or set of instructions on how to best optimize the settings. This is what will prevent me at least from actually purchasing flyinside.

Thanks
boeing100

Postby Tony » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 am

I can only add again that a wiki is in development mate and Dan is working hard to get out new features and updates. A new beta is being tested now and hopefully due for release soon. We are working hard to get a tutorial out and from my end I hope to have a video out by Sunday fingers crossed.

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Return to Oculus Rift CV1