SteamVR Beta Update - Flickering?

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

SteamVR Beta Update - Flickering?

Postby admin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi All,

SteamVR may be pushing out a beta update today, which has the possibility to affect the black flickering issue. If SteamVR updates for you, please make sure that you have the latest NVIDIA drivers, and report whether it causes a resurgence of the flickering issue.

Sorry for any inconvenience this causes!

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Re: SteamVR Beta Update - Flickering?

Postby Robert » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:16 pm

Well crap. Please tell us this is a test to a permanent fix. I haven't tried it yet but busted hump today after work and only just now climbed into bed just so I could have time tomorrow for testing and do some formation this weekend.

Not that it matters but just before the weekend is a lousy time for them to push out experimental updates that may break things.

I'll test tomorrow morning, and not to be negative, but I have a feeling my weekend for FSX and formation flying is in the crapper. SteamVR updates aren't optional. If I fire it up to fly multi with others, I'm going to get the update like it or not, and if it breaks things the weekend for that is over as doubtful they would fix it until next week sometime.

Dan, if you have any input, please ask them not to do this to us just before the weekend. Maybe all the fretting is for naught and everything will work properly, but waiting until Monday to push this kind of update would have been so much more considerate.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby admin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:06 am

They're holding off, so no update right now. You're weekend should be all set :mrgreen:
admin
Site Admin

Postby Robert » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Thanks so much for this, Dan!

I'm trying to get FSX back running well again after trying the new beta build (doesn't work for me) and it would be that much harder if we had the SteamVR issue back to annoy while getting it going again.

I'm back running with 1.504 but have some stutters. Trying to get it sorted. Think it's because of some other settings I did for flying in the boonies, but working on it...
Robert

Postby Robert » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:26 pm

Hey guys, just saw where the SteamVR beta hit today. I can't fly tonight. Has anyone else tested to know if the flickers are back with this one?
Robert

Postby Robert » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:43 pm

So far so good and this was after at least two updates this week.

I still run always-on reprojection. Tried turning it off and got the flickers back, but turned it back on and all was good.

Thanks, Dan!
Robert

Postby LandoT » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:11 pm

I am having problems with stuttering. It freezes for approx half a second every 3 seconds or so. It does not seem to matter what settings I have set in p3d. And with or without always on reprojection. Very irritating as it makes the sim unusable in VR. I am using the latest beta.
i7 7700k OC @ 4.8ghz
Nvidia Titan Xp OC
32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz DDR4
512gb SSD
16tb HDD
MSI Z170A M5
Win 10 x64
P3D v3.4, v4, and XP11
Vive
LandoT

Postby admin » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:31 pm

LandoT wrote:I am having problems with stuttering. It freezes for approx half a second every 3 seconds or so. It does not seem to matter what settings I have set in p3d. And with or without always on reprojection. Very irritating as it makes the sim unusable in VR. I am using the latest beta.

Are you running any flight sim add-ons, specific 3rd party aircraft? Any information would be helpful, as I can't reproduce behavior anywhere near that extreme.
admin
Site Admin

Postby LandoT » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:36 pm

admin wrote:
LandoT wrote:I am having problems with stuttering. It freezes for approx half a second every 3 seconds or so. It does not seem to matter what settings I have set in p3d. And with or without always on reprojection. Very irritating as it makes the sim unusable in VR. I am using the latest beta.

Are you running any flight sim add-ons, specific 3rd party aircraft? Any information would be helpful, as I can't reproduce behavior anywhere near that extreme.

Yes I have ASN and ORBX global base + vector. I have only tried flying in clear conditions so I am not sure of AS. Would affect it. The aircraft doesn't seem to make a difference. I have tried standard aircraft and PMDG.

As far as settings, I have tried changing all the flyinside settings (tried all resolutions and the time warp settings) as well as put all p3d settings to minimum. Also messed with steam VR settings with no success.

Edit: I did the windows 10 anniversary update and then did a clean driver install. I also took the overclock off my CPU to see if that made a difference. No luck. The stuttering only occurs when the sim has loaded. Menus are perfectly smooth. It is showing 50 to 55/90 fps at all times.
i7 7700k OC @ 4.8ghz
Nvidia Titan Xp OC
32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz DDR4
512gb SSD
16tb HDD
MSI Z170A M5
Win 10 x64
P3D v3.4, v4, and XP11
Vive
LandoT

Return to HTC Vive