VR View drops out

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: VR View drops out

Postby aurel42 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:52 am

Dan, I can't provide any feedback on the drop outs, because I had to reinstall my FSX (trouble with some addon, totally unrelated to FI), so I can't really compare "before" and "after". Because of this you should probably also take my other bug reports with a grain of salt:

Feedback about image controls: range and interval too large — for my taste, the maximum and minimum values for all three settings are too extreme; while the stepping between the possible values is too high (I found myself thinking "this is too much, this is too little, I wish I could select something in between these two values").
It's hard to judge the changes in the small sim window in the left pane, I was switching back and forth a lot, I tried to find areas in FI's night mode skybox that looked similar to the clouds in the FSX night sky to judge the effect of changing the sliders immediately. No idea how to solve this without having the sliders visible in the cockpit.

Possible audio settings bug: I don't use the Rift headphones (instead I use the default device), I assume that's why the FI sound controls don't work for me. (edit: I was unsure about this before, but, yeah, no audio on my headphones when I enable the FI audio controls)
After reinstallation of FSX and the FI beta, and disabling the FI sound control, I lost parts of the FSX audio (in cockpit: no engine sounds, no ambient sounds, but the F1 GTN750 still beeped when I clicked on it, and the clicks in the FSX interface on the desktop where audible, too).
This problem persisted across several restarts. While it was happening, there was no volume slider in the cockpit menu of FI and FI's sound option was unchecked. In fsx_FlyInside.cfg, I noticed SOUND=0. After changing that to SOUND=1, engine sounds returned. (edit: I think FSX might have crashed later in the session after disabling the FI sound controls, perhaps that's why the change didn't end up in the fsx_FlyInside.cfg? I would've expected audio to come back after toggling the setting on and off again and restarting FSX, though, which it didn't. Perhaps I should've tried "off->on, restart, on->off, restart, but I didn't think of that.)

Possible interface bug resulting in spurious Windows notification audio: after a few minutes in the cockpit and doing stuff, my system will start playing a generic Windows notification sound (I think it's called "Windows background.wav" or something like that) about every ten seconds. This will not stop until I exit FSX.
I checked my WIndows audio scheme and reassigned different sounds to all events that used this specific audio file, so next time I'm running FSX, I should be able to tell you which Windows event actually triggers the sound. (edit: the event is called "Exclamation", I think this happens after importing windows into the cockpit, possibly only after closing one of them, not sure yet)
I tried to find out what process was producing the sound, but when launching FI/FSX with "Process Monitor" running, I got a message that told me to stop monitoring. I am using AHK to turn button presses into mouse clicks, but the audio kept on playing after I quit that script. I also started using FSUIPC to configure my input devices, not sure whether that could be related to the problem.

Problems with new control method for switches etc.: I'm not sure what functionality to expect here at this point, and I only tested with the RealAir Legacy.
A few buttons are working (Alternator, Mastery Battery), but they display the "+ X -" popup used to control levers.
Most buttons (incl. the magneto "key") don't light up when I move the blue dot over them and can't be switched. I don't think any of the rotaries work. The "ghost version" of the fuel selector points to the left fuel tank instead of being centered.
A ring within the heading indicator lights up, but I couldn't figure out what setting it actually changed (I don't think it was the heading bug, which is what I would have expected).
For the throttle, prop rpm and mixture levers, the "ghost versions" of those levers are often (not always) offset, they appear to hover a few inches over the actual lever and not in the correct position (ie. the lever is fully pulled out, the ghost image seems to appear a few inches above where it would be if it were fully pushed in).
RealAir seems to do fancy stuff with its cockpit controls; for example, in the config panel for the aircraft, I can select between "left click/right click" and "click and drag" for different lever/rotary controls (neither method seems to work with rotaries with FI). I'm going to try with some default planes next.
[edit: I didn't find any issues with the default planes I tested, so this is a problem with RealAir's trickery. Bummer. Just bought two RealAir aircraft to fly in FI.]

As I said, not sure what to expect regarding controls and what the plan is, and I'm kinda happy now that I set up this AutoHotKey script.
To get rid of that script, I would have to be able to send mouse clicks (left, right, wheel up, wheel down) anywhere (not just on "hot spots") using the blue dot, so I could, for example, control the GTN750 touch screen with the dot (for bonus points: support for mouse dragging, ie. keep mouse button down as long as assigned joystick button is down and turn head movement into mouse movement, but that sounds like a can filled with worms and stuck mouse keys, and perhaps it's not as usable as I'm thinking it might be).

DISREGARD: Possible interface bug, just a heads up: the GTN750 got "stuck" once, no matter where I clicked on the touch screen or the buttons on the bezel, it would always just swap the COM1 frequencies between active and stand-by. I was not able to find a way to reproduce this, so I can't check whether it happens without FI as well. I kinda doubt it was FI's fault, but I wanted to mention it in case someone else experienced something similar. [This was caused by a button I forgot to clear in FSUIPC.]

Edit: Also, probably not related to the beta, I think the FSX:SE detection of FI could be broken for users who only have FSX:SE (not FSX) installed. Since I had a similar issue with an addon before: are you, by any chance, only checking for the different AppPath registry keys, without looking at the "Co-Existence" key? I only have FSX:SE, so I only have AppPath in "Flight Simulator\10.0" and not in "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition", "Co-Existence" is 0. FlyInside actively uses fsx_FlyInside.cfg instead of fsx_se_FlyInside.cfg. If this is just a matter of file naming conventions, it's probably okay not to care, because it's what Dovetail intended (ie. if no boxed copy is installed, FSX:SE behaves like an 'old' FSX so the vast amount of addons will work without changes). It's still kinda confusing for users.

Addition: This is somewhere between a bug report and a feature request: I've assigned a button to the show/hide mouse toggle. When I use that to show the mouse, it makes little sense that FI auto-hides the mouse again after a few (!) seconds. FI doesn't seem to be aware that I'm happily clicking away on my GPS touch screen. It's like a mini-game: how many letters of the waypoint can I enter before the mouse disappears?

Another addition: Imported windows can become "stuck" on the desktop in a way that persists after FSX and FI are not running any longer (after what seemed to be a clean exit, not a crash). They still rendered updated content, but I couldn't interact with them with the mouse any longer. I could "click through them" and click on desktop icons that were hidden by those windows. I could interact with the windows using their task bar icons, but they stayed "stuck" until I closed them that way.
In that FSX session, I used the "show desktop" button to quickly switch between desktop and cockpit multiple times (trying to provoke a crash I had experienced before).
The last thing I did before exiting was trying to resize one of the imported windows (by dragging the button on the window border). That didn't work so I used the zoom button on the top instead, then I switched to the desktop inside FI, noticed I couldn't resize the window their either, and exited FSX. I'll see if I can find steps to reproduce the problem later.
Last edited by aurel42 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
i7-4790K/4.0; GTX1080; 16GB; SSD; Win10/64; before: FSX:SE, now: P3Dv3; CV1
aurel42

Postby airwolf » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:26 pm

Hey crashes happen in SLI about exact 35-40 min or so and it is very consistent. Something is happening to p3d till 35-40 min mark from start of the app and crash happens in the rift.

SLI really helps with frames and what not. Must have feature.

I reinstalled p3d and using everything is stock. Only addons installed are pilot mesh in the scenery layers, pmdg 777 with updated RAAS and FSUIPC. Even the settings are exact by default except for frame rates (as it is set to 0).
i5820K OC 4.3ghz 2x980 SLI, 16GB, P3d v4, Windows 10 Pro (Latest release), Rift CV1, NV Drivers latest 7/4/17
airwolf

Postby admin » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Aurel42 - Agreed. Planning to revamp those sliders because the adjustment levels aren't optimal. I'll also allow bindings for those sliders, so that people who like them enough can adjust them on the fly.

Not sure what went wrong with sound, but it sounds like you fixed it? FI Audio controls specifically redirect audio to Rift when detected fyi.

I believe there is a flight-sim add-on, maybe it was FSUIPC, that plays the exclamation sound if you are close to an OOM. Could that be it?

Side note - users should loudly complain to any add-on developer who makes their add-on incompatible with Process Monitor or debuggers. Contrary to popular belief, it does nothing to stop skilled hackers, but does plenty to frustrate developers and legitimate users :( Very anti-user, very unfriendly, STOP DOING IT /rant

I'll take a look at the RealAir Legacy. These things vary a lot from aircraft to aircraft.

Airwolf - I'll look into the SLI crash. Haven't had a chance to do a long flight with VR-SLI yet

Everyone - Is it pretty safe to say that the beta version massively helped with the drop-outs issue? Or are you still seeing the same problem on the beta?
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby aurel42 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:21 am

admin wrote:I believe there is a flight-sim add-on, maybe it was FSUIPC, that plays the exclamation sound if you are close to an OOM. Could that be it?

Thank you, Dan, yes, that's it! It's not documented in the FSUIPC manual (yeah, I actually read that) and it's not exposed in the FSUIPC dialog. Thanks to your hint, I found this, though, which confirms your suspicion straight from the horse's mouth:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/71348- ... ent-441103

Still don't know, though, why I'm running into this VAS shortage. For a while, I was sure that 1.5213 introduced the problem, but it could also be the Flight1 GTN750 or possibly some other addon or their combination. That's the problem with changing multiple things in a short time, you can never be sure what causes what.
aurel42

Postby admin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:38 am

I can confirm that there is a memory leak in 1.5213 when using VR-SLI. Tracking down the cause, thank you all who reported :)

Aurel42 - did you get my e-mail?
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby aurel42 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:22 pm

admin wrote:Aurel42 - did you get my e-mail?

Yes, I did, thank you very much. :)
aurel42

Postby whitav8 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Another possible issue - did any of you having problems allow the latest Windows 10 update (called the Anniversary Update) to install? The Oculus forums are talking about that.

Dave
Dave
Intel 9700K@5.0Ghz (8 core) + Nvidia2070(436.15) + P3Dv4.4 + FSX + 0.6 FSS + WMR HP Reverb v2 + Win10 (build 1903) + CAP2 + FS2
whitav8

Postby Britjet » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:11 am

I have the same problem with P3Dv3. Flyinside reverts to the setup menus every 30 seconds or so.
It didn't happen until recently.
I don't think at have updated NVIDIA drivers in the meantime.
Brit
Britjet

Postby airwolf » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:31 am

this issue is solved in 1.6
i5820K OC 4.3ghz 2x980 SLI, 16GB, P3d v4, Windows 10 Pro (Latest release), Rift CV1, NV Drivers latest 7/4/17
airwolf

Previous

Return to Oculus Rift CV1