Upgrade from GTX980ti to 1080 Xtreme?

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Upgrade from GTX980ti to 1080 Xtreme?

Postby Tedmax » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:08 pm

I am now in boots n all.

Completely dismantled my 3 pc network, saitek controllers and 5 monitors and replaced all that space and power consumption, noise and cables with the Vive headset. Kept the pro yoke, pedals and GoFlight TQ6. Absolutely loving Flyinside.

So the question: is it worth upgrading from 980ti to 1080 Xtreme?
MSI X99A Gaming 7 MB, i7 5820K @4.5GHz, Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler, Gigabyte GTX1080 xtreme 8GB, Corsair Veng 32GB DDR4, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Corsair RM-750 PS Win10x64, XP11, HTCVive
Tedmax

Re: Upgrade from GTX980ti to 1080 Xtreme?

Postby Robert » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:31 pm

I went from a 980Ti to a 1080 FTW from EVGA and it made a big difference for me. I have seen others say they didn't see much difference and with FSX/P3D being fairly CPU bound, what you see may depend a lot on your settings, add-ons, CPU and speed, memory and speed, etc.

YMMV? But it made a big difference here and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Tedmax » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:06 pm

The Gigabyte 1080 Xtreme premium landed in Australia yesterday. I pick mine up tomorrow. I will post back what differences I get. One good feature is a drive bay breakout for HDMI and USB 3.0
MSI X99A Gaming 7 MB, i7 5820K @4.5GHz, Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler, Gigabyte GTX1080 xtreme 8GB, Corsair Veng 32GB DDR4, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, Corsair RM-750 PS Win10x64, XP11, HTCVive
Tedmax

Postby Tedmax » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:26 pm

Switching out the MSI GTX980ti for the Gigabyte GTX1080 xtreme was very easy. Both boards are the same size and use the same power connectors. I uninstalled the driver using DDU in safe mode, shut down and removed the 980 and replaced it with the 1080. I downloaded the latest driver (which I think was the same one as I already had). I haven't installed the OC Gigabyte software yet. I didn't see a lot of difference between the two boards. The 980 was already on the FI max res, but I was able to bump up MSAA from Medium to Ultra. Not much noticeable difference in terms of frame rates in the sim. Checking both CPUID and GPUID neither reported they are maxed out. My MSI 99a gaming 7 & 5820k is OC to 4.5GHz. This has been very stable for around 12 months and it never ever crashed in XPlane 10.

Then the crashing started :o

Within a 30 min period of installing the card maybe 10 or so hard crashes - complete OS lockup which could only be resolved by pressing the reset button. I was pretty devastated. So the fault finding began. First remove OC on CPU. Nope. Remove all USB devices and attach a standard keyboard and mouse. Nope. Re-insert all Vive cables. Nope. In task manager, kill any unnecessary tasks. Nope. Library>Tools>Delete local content. Success. OK leave the OC off and leave off the USB devices. Start AS16, FI. Still OK. Attach Saitek Pro Yoke, TQ6, Saitek Pro pedals. Still OK. Try HyperX USB headphones still OK. Could it be the Delete Local Content. Yes absolutely. Back to OC 4.5GHz. Still OK. So my startup procedure is: Steam>Library>Tools>Delete local content>AS16>FI.

So it is now stable (mostly). I have had two occasions in the last week where the compositor(?) drops off. P3D continues to run as if nothing has happened and SteamVR is still reporting the Vive running but the headset is blue-grey. Need to investigate that one. It seemed to be when I was using the GTN750. Not sure though.

I can't say in my experience that the difference between the two cards is really obvious. I think it is the 5820k CPU that is the bottleneck. GPUID reports the 1080 running about 70%. VAS in P3D is around 1.4GB I left on hyperthreading so I might experiment with that. I am getting 54/90 with FI max settings, and P3D mostly between normal and 3/4 to the right. If I increase settings much more P3D is not as smooth - difference is quite subtle. Rather have absolutely smooth than a little stutter and higher graphics. To put that into context I was happy getting 25FPS before the Vive & FI.

If I could take the card back and get my money would I do it? No - there is a certain amount of comfort at the moment knowing that I have just about the best rig for FI and Vive.

My 2c
Tedmax

Postby Robert » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:49 am

That 5820 should be a good chip. I've got the next one up and I think the differences are minor especially in a single video card setup.

You might try disabling hyperthreading. Some say it doesn't matter much but what it does is share cores with other tasks and you want FSX or P3D to have every cycle possible. You already have a six core CPU so it really doesn't cost you much if anything since most apps don't use all the cores. Only certain apps really make good use of it. I also run with CPU affinity putting FSX and P3D down on core 4 to move them away from anything that prefers the first and last cores. I didn't do a before/after to know if or how much of an affect, but in general, my system performs very well.

Not sure why you didn't see much benefit to the 1080 but in P3D, Dan said he plans to add support for the advanced Pascal instructions that should show some major performance boost.

Also, with DDR4, are you running the XMP profile with overclock or stock clocks? I know a number of people have reported some big performance increases in VR by clocking up the RAM. Also, I'm using MSI's Afterburner to push the fan curve to 100% by 50C and have overclocked my 1080 even over the stock overclock. I basically have thrown the kitchen sink at my system but it runs fast and performs well now even with lots of scenery and aftermarket aircraft.

Good luck!
Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:38 pm

Well, I did the hyperthreading experiment by accident and if there was a difference, it was slight. I think I noticed a little judder but can't pin it down to say for certain. I'd say mostly a wash but something to try if you are on the edge.
Robert

Postby Tedmax » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:02 pm

Having flown without Process Lasso for the last three days with absolutely no issues I can confirm that using Process Lasso can seriously compromise:

1. Flyinside
2. SteamVR
3. P3D v3.3
4. GTN 750

This was the cause for the weird behaviour before installing the 1080 and the system crashes with the new card.

I would recommend that any user using Process Lasso to manage process affinity (limiting software to run on particular cores) should remove it. If you really want to experiment with core affinity settings, use the P3D config. I found that turning off Hyperthreading and limiting P3D to only four cores (1,2,3,4 leaving core 0,5 free for the system) was the best for my 5820k.

I hope this helps someone, because if I had known it 4 weeks ago I would now have more hair.
Tedmax

Return to HTC Vive