Vive Beta

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Vive Beta

Postby hyrons » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:59 am

Why is the HTC Vive still in Beta? does it not run as well as oculus?
hyrons

Re: Vive Beta

Postby Tony » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:39 pm

Good question and easy to answer at this time. Dan is the one and only developer and got the vive quite late into developing Flyinside and what with him testing and tweaking for the cv1 then the vive and now trying to set up early trials for x-plane , you can see why things are taken at a steady pace ;) knowing Dan, he'll get there :)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby clamchoda » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:31 pm

Is it a huge issue with the vive or something? Just wondering why he has overlooked the Vive bugs and moved onto other tasks. Wouldn't Vive support open a lot wider audience. I personally have been waiting for the Vive to come out of beta to purchase flyinside, and I'm sure there are A LOT more looking on reddit forum.
clamchoda

Postby jkeye » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:21 am

clamchoda wrote:Is it a huge issue with the vive or something? Just wondering why he has overlooked the Vive bugs and moved onto other tasks. Wouldn't Vive support open a lot wider audience. I personally have been waiting for the Vive to come out of beta to purchase flyinside, and I'm sure there are A LOT more looking on reddit forum.

I use the Vive and FI-it's called a beta but it is a very refined interface!
Don't let the term beta put you off!
There are new updates all the time-Vive included.
Jay
i7 4820k@3.7 GHz 16GB RAM GTX1070
HTC Vive P3D v4.2. XP11 11.20
jkeye

Postby frankbicknell » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:22 am

I use it as well and it works wonderfully.
Z370 Chipset ASUS MB, I7 8700, 32Gb DDR4, M.2 - SSD, Win 10 64
GEForce 1080 TI SC@ Hybrid, Oculus HMD, Saitek X52 pro, Saitek pro cessna
frankbicknell

Postby clamchoda » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:10 pm

frankbicknell wrote:I use it as well and it works wonderfully.

How are you fellas getting it to work smoothly?

I have tried it the the Vive with both motion controllers an leap motion. No matter what I do, randomly on some plans (that do work once in a while) I can not control anything. The laser pointer for the motion controller just goes right threw the cock pit dashboard, not allowing me to menu over anything to use it. When using leapmotion, the same thing, you can reach out to touch whatever you want, but no menu to adjust anything ever pops up.

Then once in a while, it works perfect for the whole flight. I have been dying to get this working for my dad. I have put hours into getting it to work smoothly but I can never get a stable build to show him.

EDIT:

I run on

Windows 10
GTX 1070
16 GB Ram

MSFX and P3D both stock installs, no addons.
clamchoda

Postby frankbicknell » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:12 pm

I am not sure of why I see some folks having such problems.
I use an 3rd party firewall (zone alarm) and block all of the crap that win 10 installs from accessing the network. I did it with win firewall but every time I disable rules win 10 updates and re-enables. Really very annoying I hope they reconsider that policy soon.
I have gone through the win 10 settings and disabled just about every setting that I can. Especially the apps that can run in the background.
Basically attempting to make sure that there are as few processes as possible running to help prevent any conflicts with vr.
I have set my frame / sec in FI to 30 which works well for me I can't see any reason that it needs to be higher.
I have the monitor set to the minimum resolution I can use, I have the window that displays the flight sim set to update at 1 frame / sec, I don't mirror the view from the vive to not waste any video card resources.
I hope this helps.
Z370 Chipset ASUS MB, I7 8700, 32Gb DDR4, M.2 - SSD, Win 10 64
GEForce 1080 TI SC@ Hybrid, Oculus HMD, Saitek X52 pro, Saitek pro cessna
frankbicknell

Postby admin » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:24 pm

To clear a couple of things up:

1. FlyInside for Vive was originally in Beta due to driver issues, making Vive nearly unusable on a lot of hardware+resolution combinations. These days, FlyInside for Vive is really on par with FlyInside for CV1. I'm very close to taking Vive out of Beta, but want to fix bugs that exist when using Vive controllers to manipulate virtual windows. If you're waiting to purchase due to the "Beta" label, keep in mind it really is mostly a label at this point.
2. I'm actually no longer the only developer at FlyInside (not Tony's fault, forgot to tell him). Still too few people for too much code though ;)
3. Don't worry, Vive isn't "on pause" nor has Vive support been abandoned to work on X-Plane. It's all under development, and you can expect future updates/improvements. It just takes time.

A suggestion for your particular issue. On certain computers/configurations, FlyInside is unable to load up certain modules it needs for interaction (usually related to anti-virus). Try loading the stock Cessna 172, then switching aircraft to your plane of choice. This should force your simulator to load the modules FlyInside needs, and they remain loaded when you switch to other aircraft :) Please let me know if this fixes the inconsistently working aircraft for you.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby clamchoda » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:37 pm

"Try loading the stock Cessna 172, then switching aircraft to your plane of choice."

Thank you very much, I will try this step next time!
clamchoda

Postby shamrock331 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Strange,
I have been testing with heavy premium addons such as:

PMDG 737
PMDG 777
PMDG 747
Maddog MD80
Majestic Dash 8
Orbx Sceneries

I am using the HTC Vive and so far I am shocked at the stability, I am getting no issues what so ever so far.

clamchoda - personally, for switches etc I was using the mouse, as I need to use a yoke / throttles anyhow, having the mouse in place seems easier (and possibly more accurate) I can also change dials such as speed and altitude by using the scroll roller on the mouse which is very effective.
shamrock331

Return to HTC Vive