X-Plane Questions

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: X-Plane Questions

Postby Derek Speare » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:27 pm

Rift Flyer wrote:Loads of fantastic photo scenery and better mesh available at no extra cost Derek. Outside the demo area is all water ;-) The only thing really lacking for me is the buildings etc. they look fairly crap at low level (where I spend most of my flying time). If you enjoy helicopters then x-plane is head and shoulders above anything else as far as flight dynamics goes. The Dreamfoil helicopter add ons are excellent. They leave the dcs Heli modules for dust.

Yes, the demo just told me water only when leaving the demo area, but when I did a "get me lost" flight it stuck me in some mountains somewhere...really nice! I can't fly helos, though. Jets are my thing. DCS has superb helos if you don't already have it.

I will say that dense areas really bog my system down, though. I'm going to get the payware version tonight and let it d/l over the night. I'm curious about the free stuff. I have a ton of stuff for FSX/P3d, but it seems like there's not as much for XP, at least with respect to modern fighters. I will likely get that FA18 from Colima on the x-plane.org store.

I'd also be interested in knowing what they are planning for v11.
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Postby Tony » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:29 pm

I've been on the hunt for freeware as well Derek, but it is very sparse on the ground for my taste, some is good and some isn't. I downloaded the AN-24 from x-plane.org for 10 dollars and that is an amazing piece of hardware.

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tony » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Paul_Blythe » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Rather than start a new thread asking questions about XP-11. Thought it best to ask them here, keeping things neat and tidy :)

I use P3D v3.4, but find getting the thing loaded is becoming tiresome. I can lose 15-20 minutes easily on loading times ... feel like I've been spoilt after getting Aerofly FS2 and DCS world. How well does XP-11 do with loading times?

Onto VR ... this one's a bit more subjective, and it's difficult to compare apples with apples here... how is X-Plane 11 currently performing in VR? Frame rate consistency, frame rate trade off's for visual impact etc ...

Really feel that P3D is in need of a major engine overhaul to bring it up to date. In this respect X-plane looks to have stolen the march. However, I can't decide if XP-11 is the way to go, or hold out and see what P3Dv4 brings to the table. Either way, It'll be a re-investment in planes and scenery...
Win 10 Home, 64-bit|i5 7600K 4.7GHz|Gigabyte GA-Z270P-HD3P|16GB| GTX 1070|CV-1|P3D v3.4.22|FlyInside v1.8|AS16+ASCA|Orbx Base, Vector, OpenLC EU/NA, FTX Regions & Airports |Rex WW Airports HD|PrecipitFX|OpenVFR Japan|UK2000 Liverpool & Manchester
Paul_Blythe

Postby Andelain » Tue May 02, 2017 4:03 am

Paul_Blythe wrote:Rather than start a new thread asking questions about XP-11. Thought it best to ask them here, keeping things neat and tidy :)

I use P3D v3.4, but find getting the thing loaded is becoming tiresome. I can lose 15-20 minutes easily on loading times ... feel like I've been spoilt after getting Aerofly FS2 and DCS world. How well does XP-11 do with loading times?

Onto VR ... this one's a bit more subjective, and it's difficult to compare apples with apples here... how is X-Plane 11 currently performing in VR? Frame rate consistency, frame rate trade off's for visual impact etc ...

Really feel that P3D is in need of a major engine overhaul to bring it up to date. In this respect X-plane looks to have stolen the march. However, I can't decide if XP-11 is the way to go, or hold out and see what P3Dv4 brings to the table. Either way, It'll be a re-investment in planes and scenery...

Ever since Dan added X-Plane Support to Fly Inside, I find I've been flying more and more in X-Plane than P3D, especially since v1.8, which fixed the HDR bug (Thanks Dan!).

If you fly online with VATSIM and load epic numbers of plane matching models, or have tons of custom scenery, your load times will suffer. My load time breakdown goes something (roughly) like this:

0:00 Launch X-Plane
2:30 Plugins Loaded - Could be reduced by removing CSL models from Squawkbox ( would be nice if it could load in the background )
3:25 Loading Airports and Nav Data - I have latest custom Navigraph data for sim and GPS loading.
4:30 Starts loading the Aircraft and Flight config screen appears here.
5:00 Loading Scenery - Have the full global scenery plus tons of extra free scenery mostly for Australia - http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/8246-aussiepak-scenery-packages/
9:40 Asyncronous loading completed and interface can start. Some stuff still loading in the background.

Would be interested to know how long others are waiting..

If you have good hardware, X-Plane will push it harder and give better results, and also conversely, when my GPU melted it's own cooler fans and I had to send it away for repair, X-Plane was the only sim that would give me workable framerates (at low settings) with an embedded intel HD 4600 GPU. No matter how low I set my rendering options in P3D, I could not get framerates that were flyable with the same hardware.

Scenery and Autogen density and Clouds/Weather seem to produce the hardest hit to VR performance IMHO. There's a really good short video tutorial that explains X-Plane rendering settings here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8941QQr4pS4

The suggestion of optimising your rendering settings to the most complex scenery and weather you tend to use is a good one.

Cheers,

Ande
MB: GA-Z87N-WiFi CPU: i7-4770/3.4GHz MEM: 16GB/1600 OS: Win7/ENT/SP1 GPU: MSI GTX1070/FE v382.33 HMD: Oculus CV1 v1.10.0.308075 P3D: v3.4.22.19868 X-Plane: v11.01r2 DCS: v2.6.19.8
Andelain

Previous

Return to The Lounge