Beginner Help: Black boxes / wrong FOV and other issues

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Beginner Help: Black boxes / wrong FOV and other issues

Postby rkagerer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 am

Hi folks,

I purchased X-Plane 11 and a Leap Motion device specifically to try and get some cutting edge VR flight simulation happening in my Vive. But I'm running into some newbie problems.

Most severely, once I'm in a plane out on the runway, the view through the Vive is messed up. It seems like I'm looking through two small boxes with a lot of black border around them. Also about a third of each eye is actually showing what looks like ought to be part of the view from the other eye. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'm guessing this is some kind of FOV issue?

Also some other minor things. I have 3 monitors and I absolutely LOVE the way FlyInside wraps my whole screen around me in VR. This is how SteamVR's desktop mode OUGHT to work! (In SteamVR's desktop mode everything on the screen - text, buttons, etc - is just way too small to be usable). But I think perhaps the multiple monitors thing is causing some issues? e.g. When I can move my mouse around the screen (nice touch) but when I click, the click actually seems to be registered somewhere other than where my mouse is hovering.

Also I'm not sure how to "grab" scrollbars with my hands (I can point a finger at it but my finger doesn't "stick" to the scrollbar GUI element so I can only move it up or down in tiny increments).

Things also get kind of slow once the simulator loads up. e.g. Moving my head around, moving my hands - it all seems a touch stuttery. Note I'm using a 980 Ti.

Are these normal issues? Is there a newbie guide that covers stuff like this? Am I doing it wrong and should I be using X-Plane 10 or Microsoft Flight Simulator instead of the X-Plane 11 beta?

Thanks!
rkagerer

Re: Beginner Help: Black boxes / wrong FOV and other issues

Postby Stevil » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:38 am

Hi,

it is always helpful to put your computer specs into your signature so everyone knows what hard- and software you have got.

To the FOV issue: Have you mapped a button to FlyInside to re-center your view?
CPU Intel i7 4790K - GPU Zotac GTX 1080 Mini - RAM 16gb DDR3 Mobo Gigabyte GAMING 5 - Drive 750GB SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Simulator X-Plane v11.11 RC1
HTC Vive
Stevil

Re: Beginner Help: Black boxes / wrong FOV and other issues

Postby rkagerer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:59 am

Full specs for my primary workstation (circa 2010 + upgrades):

• Hex-core Xeon X5680, 3.33GHz stock, @3.6GHz / 1.336V
  • Noctua NH-D14
  • Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
  • 48GB ECC RAM @1443MHz / CAS8. 3x Kingston KVR13E9/8I
  • Areca ARC-1882ix-24 w/ 4GB BBU cache
  • 4x 480GB Intel SSD DC 3500 (each 500MB/s read, 410MB/s write, 75k IOPS), 10% spare, RAID0 boot
  • 8x 4TB Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 in RAID6
  • EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB GDDR5
  • Mellanox MHGH28-XTC 4X DDR Infiniband
  • Adaptec AVA-2903B (for Epson Perfection 1200S) via PEX 8111 PCIe x1 to PCI adapter
  • Syba SD-PEX50023 PCIe x1 to parallel / serial, for legacy h/w programmer
  • Matrix Orbital BLK202A-GW LCD w/ 3x DS18S20 temp probes
  • Rosewill media reader RCR-FD400 , stock 3.5" floppy replaced w/ slim USB model
  • Silverstone ST1500 PSU
  • Coolermaster ATCS 840 case, top fans flipped upside down, beneath custom dust filter
  • Assorted NF-P12 and NF-S12B chassis fans
  • RioRand 12V DC Temperature Controller hack for RAID card fan, in custom 3D printed enclosure
  • 3x LOGISYS ML12WT LED sticks on 5V-to-12V up-converter tapped into 5V ATX stanby power , triggered by magnetic reed switch so that
    internal case lighting comes on when you open the case, even when powered off
  • 2x SuperMicro M14T drive cage, fan removed
  • 2x TrippLite S510-18N SFF-8087 to 4-in-1 SFF-8484
  • Dell UltraSharp U3011
  • 2x Samsung SyncMaster 213T
  • Acer H5360 3D Projector
  • Kinesis Contoured Keyboard
  • Saitek X52 Pro Flight Controls
  • 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse Pro Wireless
  • HTC Vive w/ Leap Motion accessory
  • 24x7 Prime95 stable, several Memtest86 passes
Running Windows 7 64-bit, and latest nVidia drivers (updated today).

Discovered the problem occurs in X-Plane but not under Flight Simulator X SP2.

I did the re-centering thing when the game started up, although haven't mapped a permanent button for it yet. Will try that, although I feel like it's more of an FOV problem than a centering issue.

I also found this and tried removing the "mirrorViewGeometry" line from the steamvr config file mentioned, but it didn't help and SteamVR just put it back next time it was run: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4643#p20004

Turning off all my displays except one helped with the mouse registration issue, and seemed to make a few other minor things more reliable. When more than one display is enabled, the actual mouse position is always about 950 pixels left of where the cursor is shown in VR. Would be curious if others have that issue. Coincidentally the X-Plane window is a little over 1000 pixels to the right of the left edge of my primary monitor - not sure if that's related. The X-Plane window is not capturing (hogging) the mouse.

In a bit of a rush now but can do more troubleshooting later if there are more suggestions.
Last edited by Tony on Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Deleted all forum links, not good practise to have so many, sorry.
rkagerer

Return to HTC Vive