Will my Oculus work in P3Dv4

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Will my Oculus work in P3Dv4

Postby nicknike » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:10 pm

I'm very new to all this. I have been trawling the internet but am now stuck for answers. I've only been able to find disjointed snippets. I have built a high spec PC and have Oculus Rift on order, complete with the hand movement sensors. I have purchased and installed P3D v4.0. I see FlyInside do not cater for v4.0. I've read that the 3D viewing should work and the virtual cockpits controls are accessible with mouse clicks with P3Dv4.

May I ask you experts,
1) Is this correct, my Oculus will work with P3Dv4. I'll see 3D imagery and the VC controls are accessible?
2) Does this mean that FlyInside is not required? Or do I need to wait for FlyInside to support P3Dv4?
3) Can you please give me any advice or relevant information regarding the use of P3Dv4 with the Oculus Drift unit. Can I use the hand sensors, for example?

I'm hoping to get a comprehensive appreciation here and get all the knowledge I need to know for this application.
Many thanks and your help will be very appreciated.
nicknike

Re: Will my Oculus work in P3Dv4

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:36 am

Native p3d v4 does work but it's very poor at this time. No support for touch yet. Here at Flyinside we are working hard to get a version for v4 working but not yet released as work is on going.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby nicknike » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:28 am

Thanks for the reply. How is it 'poor' at present?
Can I still see 3 dimensionally? Am I correct that mouse clicks will work the VC?

What do you mean by touch? What additional features will your update give?

Please forgive all the questions, but I am brand new to this.
Thanks for any reply.
nicknike

Postby Tony » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:59 pm

That's ok mate, we can talk you through any help you need ;) Touch support we have for FSX Xplane and P3D v2.5 to v3.5..........we don't have support with flyinside yet for V4 but it's coming. Touch is the controllers with the rift and you can use these to manipulate the controls dials and switches as well as mouse control. Poor with native VR in v4 is POOR.......try it and you'll see. No mouse control or very limited.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby awreaper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:00 pm

I can second that. Native VR in version 4 is better than version 3 but still has a long way to go. I have v4 but it is just sitting on my computer waiting for FI v4 version. Until then I continue to soldier on with v3. :D
awreaper

Postby ariejohannes » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:46 pm

I agree.
I'm a fervent user from FlyInside since it was still in the early development and I'm very happy that I participated in the Kickstarter fundraising when Daniel started.
I bought my DK2 and the CV1 plus my PC only for this program and I never regretted it.
I have FSX Steam {what I hardly use}, X-plane11, PP3dV3 and V4 is complete installed and waiting for FlyInside before I'll start using it.

There is no other VR experience what is so realistic like this. If you invest later in add-ons like a good mesh and scenery, weather machine and cloud arts you never stop flying again., you just look around and enjoy every minute..
There is a continue development and when you think it's perfect there comes again another improvement.
CPU 6820HK (2.7 -4 GHz) intel - GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 8 GB GDDR5 (Desktop Video Card)- RAM 32gb . Drives 1Tb SDD 500Gb SSD - OS Win 10 x64 - Sims - P3D V3 and V4 and FSX-SE and X-Plane ver 11
Device: CV1
ariejohannes

Postby nicknike » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:29 pm

ariejohannes wrote:If you invest later in add-ons like a good mesh and scenery, weather machine and cloud arts you never stop flying again., you just look around and enjoy every minute..

Would you be kind enough to inform me which add-ons like a good mesh and scenery, weather machine and cloud arts you use?
nicknike

Postby kihew » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:01 pm

NickNike,

My first post here.

I have never tried FlyInside because I only got my first Oculus Rift two days ago. I have FSX and P3D V4 installed. I've only tried VR in V4. And WOW.

I know many say that native VR in P3D is poor but even so, it's good enough to make me think I don't want to go back.

I own a bellow specs GTX 960 and still I was able to test fly, albeit with a few stutters now and then (ORBX scenery, rural area in Montana and with A2A C172).

Basics: Start Oculus (start the Oculus app, which will switch the Oculus on). Start P3D. Select or create a scenario. You might want to put the display settings on minimum first, so not to put too much strain on the video card and your eyes.

Load the scenario. Put yourself inside your aircraft's virtual cockpit. Right click on pc screen/P3D window and on the menu that appears click on VR line and then "VR in virtual cockpit" option (or simillar looking). And off you go. P3D world will appear in your Rift lenses and you are now in virtual reality.

You may see a white cross in front of you - it's the mouse cursor. You can move it with your mouse and use it to click on the cockpit switches. But it is hard to use - needs practice. For best results, close your right eye when you want to activate a switch and position the white cross slightly to the left of the click-spot. With practice it becomes easier.

If you change your view, P3D exits VR. If you want to be able to exit the aircraft in avatar mode and see the scenery in VR do this:

Assign a key or joystick control to the command "attach/Dettach avatar". When you activate avatar mode, VR exits but right-click on the P3D window again and chose again VR virtual cockpit again. Now your back in VR and free to roam the scenery in avatar mode.

Also, in the key Assignements look for "HMD - Recalibrate Origin", assign it to a button, so that when you leave the plane and stand up press this button, when you enter the plane and sit down, press it again. It puts your head position in the virtual world in the default location - for example, places your head in the default position inside the cockpit. When i start Prepar3D and enter the plane in VR Cockpit, i sit down, relax and look straight then pressing the HMD - Recalibrate Origin button, and it's done.
kihew

Postby nicknike » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:28 pm

All useful stuff, thanks.
Nick
nicknike

Return to Oculus Rift CV1