Ideal Flight 10 compatibility

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Ideal Flight 10 compatibility

Postby jkeye » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:15 pm

Hi
I've used this program from codelegend in the past which is a good front end launcher for P3D.
Unfortunately I've been unable to use it with Flyinside.It crashes P3D and FI when I run it.
Any help would be appreciated
Jay
i7 4820k@3.7 GHz 16GB RAM GTX1070
HTC Vive P3D v4.2. XP11 11.20
jkeye

Re: Ideal Flight 10 compatibility

Postby admin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:19 pm

I'll check it out!
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby jkeye » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:56 pm

Thanks Dan
That would be much appreciated
Jay
i7 4820k@3.7 GHz 16GB RAM GTX1070
HTC Vive P3D v4.2. XP11 11.20
jkeye

Postby dhosein » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:38 am

I have the same issue with trying to use Ideal Flight alongside FlyInside. Both work great in isolation, but not together. Hope a solution can be found for this one.
dhosein

Postby dhosein » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:28 am

Actually.. a thought on this one...

Running FlyInside automatically runs FSX.
Launching a Flight from Ideal Flight 10 restarts FSX.

I think this restart may be the cause of the crash, since it is shutting down an FSX instance that was run by FlyInside as its parent? Then although Ideal Flight launches a new instance.. the earlier crash causes FlyInside not to interact/detect the new instance correctly?
dhosein

Postby dhosein » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:34 am

This thread should probably be moved to the FSX Bugs forum since it's not really a HTC Vive specific issue.

From some correspondence with the support guys for Ideal Flight, it seems the issue is likely on the FlyInside side in dealing with requests send into FSX from other external sources. It seems that once FSX is already running, Ideal Flight sends a command in to load a flight it has just built.. which results in the FlyInside crash. This doesn't crash FSX... and in fact, the flight does load.. but all input to FSX after this via keyboard or joystick seems ignored or disabled.

The flight file itself isn't the issue.. if we use Ideal Flight to build the flight file and then manually load it from the FSX free flight menu.. all works just fine.

The info I received from CodeLegend concerning Ideal Flight:

"First build a flight and the files are exported to your FSX docs folder

The command is:

"FSX.EXE IDEAL_FLIGHT.FLT"

or you can locate the file:

C:\Users\YOU\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\IDEAL_FLIGHT.FLT

right-click on it and choose "Open with..." and FSX.EXE

If FSX is not running then it will start and the flight file is loaded or if FSX is already running (at the simulator view) the current flight is ended and the flight file loaded. All IF10 does is wait for information from the sim about position and so on. If it does not get that you won't see the IF10 in-sim Menu, the evaluation or get the IF10 weather injected. If that's the case there's something wrong with the sim.

...the flight file references two files, the plan and the briefing.

Ideal_Flight.PLN
Ideal_Flight.htm

You can test it out with no plan by making a flight with No Plan selected in the Flight Gen page, just in case there's a problem GPS specific.

The briefing does nothing, just appears in the Kneeboard if it's found, it can be left out."
dhosein

Return to HTC Vive