Can i run it? GTX 1060 3GB (VR)

All things CV1 and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Can i run it? GTX 1060 3GB (VR)

Postby Mauri » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:47 am

Dear Pilots,

I've a question since 2 months or so and i cant find a clear answer so here it goes.
I love FSX and other simulation games and my god i want to use VR in these games but..

I've been looking for a VR system everywhere and after searching here and there i found a pre-build system (normally i build it myself, but i would safe like 400 euros with this one) and it said it was VR Ready, (and in theory the specs are VR ready)

Before i pay another 400/500 euros for a VR system i want to know if im ready to run Flyinside, so i hope someone could help me. The specs of my system are:

CPU: i7-7700k
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 256GB
HDD: 1TB
And now (i dont hope but i think the bottleneck)
GPU: GTX1060...... 3GB T_T And upgrading, its a problem with this prebuild system..

The one says it would just do it on low settings, the others (typical people) say NOO BUY 5x GTX 1080Ti's

Long story short. Can my system run flyinside (FSX) with one of the VR Systems? (or is there a way to test this?)

Mauri
Last edited by Mauri on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mauri

Re: Can i run it? (VR)

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:08 am

The 1060 is regarded as low end for vr. You really need a 1070 or a 1080. A 1080ti would be the ultimate. Bear in mind that fsx is an old system and only runs well on high end good single core cpu's imo. But for vr the better the card the better. Hope this helps in some way ? ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Mauri » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:16 am

Thx for the fast answer.
How much VRAM does FSX uses? you say that FSX Mostly uses a CPU instead of the GPU.
Whats your final verdict (sorry for asking "again") of my system. Shall i buy a oculus or is it a no-go. (because i can't upgrade my GPU in this system)

I see some posts where users use the 1060 3gb and they dont say it doesnt work. (maybe low settings, but hey if it works why not haha?)

Thanks,

Mauri
Mauri

Postby fenflame » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:06 pm

Mauri wrote:Thx for the fast answer.
How much VRAM does FSX uses? you say that FSX Mostly uses a CPU instead of the GPU.
Whats your final verdict (sorry for asking "again") of my system. Shall i buy a oculus or is it a no-go. (because i can't upgrade my GPU in this system)

I see some posts where users use the 1060 3gb and they dont say it doesnt work. (maybe low settings, but hey if it works why not haha?)

Thanks,

Mauri

Hi Mauri,

I set off with a Rift on an i5 with a GTX970 graphics card and with reasonable care and not crazy expectations found it great as a first dip in to VR with FI. First off, you are definitely better moving to Prepar 3DV4 if your useage is academic/practice/learning about flight and so fits the licensing. You have a decent processor that will make use of the 64 bit platform rather than 32 bit FSX.
You can certainly run your system and card in VR, but don't go crazy with graphics settings, nor have complex weather programs (recommend FSReal WX to give you live weather without a ton of overhead), limit the amount of AI traffic, stick with GA aircraft and not PMDG etc and run FI at the setting one down from the highest. That will get you in.
Win10-64, i7-4790K OC to 4.7GHZ, 16GB DDR3, EVGA GTX1070 8GB OC, 1 Monitor , CV1, Saitek Rudder Pedals, CH Eclipse Yoke, P3DV4.5
FI P3DV4 Beta Tester. FlyInside Moderator.
fenflame

Return to Oculus Rift CV1