FlyInside Startup Question for Tony

Talk about anything FlyInside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

FlyInside Startup Question for Tony

Postby joepoway » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:21 am

Now that P3Dv4.2 has enabled Single Pass Rendering mode and it saves this option if chosen in the config file for the next startup I was wondering if that means FI uses SPR when it is launched after the previous launch of P3Dv4.2 when it was used in its native VR mode. I know FI changes a few config settings but this is a new setting and I doubt FI startup code looks at this new VR config file.

I think I’m seeing a frame improvement which is making me think it does use the previously saved SPR mode instead of the previous default Stereo mode. If it’s not using SPR I think it would have to modify the config back to Stereo so that probably not happening?

Can anyone shed light on which mode is used when I launch FlyInside now if the previous launch of P3Dv4.2 used SPR mode which changed the P3D config setting for the next launch? A key reason I ask is that P3Dv4.2 is having and has acknowledged issues with visual artifacts when using SPR mode and I see many of them but not when I use FI.

Thanks in advance
Joe
i5-2500k @ 4.5Ghz; GTX 1070 G1;32Gb ram; 2 SSD's; Win 10 Pro 64; P3Dv4.2;XP 11;DCS;Aerofly FS 2; All FlyInside Products; Active Sky;SPAD.next;VoiceAttack;Little NavMap;Dynamic FFTF;Process Lasso; 40in 4K TV w/ Native 30 Hz; Oculus Rift CV1; Avid VR user
joepoway

Re: FlyInside Startup Question for Tony

Postby admin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:56 am

Hi Joe,

I'll jump in on this one because it's extra technical. FlyInside actually disable's P3Ds VR mode entirely and does its own stereo rendering when active. Partially because we developed FlyInside before Prepar3D had stereo rendering at all, partially because their stereo rendering was really just two cameras (meaning slow) for a long time. That's why you aren't seeing the same artifacts when running FlyInside (but sometimes we have some of our own).

Now that Prepar3D has added SPR, we're looking into adding a mode where we layer our stuff atop SPR, to see if we can further increase performance :)

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Re: FlyInside Startup Question for Tony

Postby joepoway » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks Dan

I’m still curious if there was anything LM might have done with their lastest release v4.2 which was primarily around VR that could have increased the frame performance in FI. I might be wrong but it seemed to have added frames verse v4.1 when I used FI with all other things being equal.

I don’t use the P3D Native VR because I find the system impact and features of FI to be far superior.

Thanks for the contributions to flight simming!

Joe
i5-2500k @ 4.5Ghz; GTX 1070 G1;32Gb ram; 2 SSD's; Win 10 Pro 64; P3Dv4.2;XP 11;DCS;Aerofly FS 2; All FlyInside Products; Active Sky;SPAD.next;VoiceAttack;Little NavMap;Dynamic FFTF;Process Lasso; 40in 4K TV w/ Native 30 Hz; Oculus Rift CV1; Avid VR user
joepoway

Return to FlyInside General Discussion