FlyInside Not Appearing in my Headset

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

FlyInside Not Appearing in my Headset

Postby Chopper1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:27 am

I've just downloaded FlyInside (FI). I have a WMR headset (the Lenovo Explorer) and a suitable PC; all are working nicely with the WMR Portal appearing at the start of each WMR session. I'm going through the FI instruction manual that came when I downloaded FI and reached Running FlyInside p1 of 4 subtitled Running Flyinside. Towards the end of that section it says "Eventually your flight simulator should open your monitor, while FlyInside will appear inside your headset." FlyInside does not appear in my headset nor anywhere else as far as I can see. FSX did open on my monitor but the headset just shows the WMR Portal. There is no sign of the expected surround view inside my cockpit. Please advise what I must do to make things right.

Many thanks,

Brian
Chopper1

Re: FlyInside Not Appearing in my Headset

Postby admin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:25 am

Hi Brian,

Do you happen to have the "SteamVR for Windows Mixed Reality" software installed?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/719950/Windows_Mixed_Reality_for_SteamVR/

FlyInside uses SteamVR and won't launch without it on Mixed Reality.

Thanks,
Dan
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Chopper1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks Dan,

No I don't so it looks as though I'm missing the fundamental requirement. So, if I download it from the link you kindly provided and install, that should let me continue Running FlyInside to bring FSX up on the monitor and show FlyInside on the headset? Then I can see if FSX Acceleration shows up on the headset (because I don't have FSX SE)?

Many thanks - Brian
Chopper1

Postby Chopper1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:35 am

I followed Dan's advice but haven't managed to get FlyInside going.
To explain what I did ....
I used Dan's link and created a Steam account. Opened Steam from the desktop icon and installed Steam VR. Came up with Add a Game. Chose Add a Non-steam Game because I don't have FSX SE, just FSX Acceleration. When invited to select the game to a add I chose FlyInside as FSX Acceleration was not on the list. I then sat through 2 long downloads until the FlyInside download was complete. I then turned all running apps off and shut the PC down for lunch. When I turned the PC back on I started the Windows Mixed Reality Portal successfully followed by FlyInside FSX. As described in the FlyInside user guide FSX came up on the monitor. But FlyInside did not appear in the goggles. I don't seem to be any further forward.
Please could you advise what to do next?
Chopper1

Postby Tony » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi Brian :) would you be happy to have a teamviewer session with Dan ? He will see if we can get to the bottom of this with you ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tony » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Also Brian I noticed you said when you restarted you ran the portal and Flyinside. Was steam running ?
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Chopper1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:59 am

HiTony. I can't remember if Steam was running and I'm away from the PC just now so can't check - I will tomorrow. Something has just occurred to me that might be relevant. After nstalling Steam VR I chose to Add a Non-Stem Game because my FSX is non-Steam. But should I have chosen the Add a Steam Game option? Is my FlyInside version of FSX a Steam Game? Maybe I just need to add FlyInside's FSX on Steam VR as a Steam Game.
Also if I need to start the WMR portal, FlyInside and Steam VR, does the order of starting matter?
All the best,
Brian
Chopper1

Postby Chopper1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:08 am

Also Tony, yes I'd be very happy to have a session with Dan. Would a particular time be preffered? - I'm on British Summer Time.
Brian
Chopper1

Postby Chopper1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:32 pm

After doing everything advised by all concerned I still can't use FlyInside (FI). To summarise:
1 Ran Microsoft's WMR PC checker, PC found WMR ready.
2 Bought Lenovo Explorer headset and installed on PC, works fine with WMR Portal.
3 Already owned FSX Acceleration. Works fine ~ 30FPS. Understood I needed FI to add WMR funcionality to FSX.
4 Downloaded and installed FI. Followed FI user guide to the point where FI should have appeard in my headset. Reported no success in this thread. Was advised I need Steam VR to use FI. Went through the FI user guid again with same lack of success.
5 Tony asked if Steam VR was running first, Unsure I checked this out today. Opened Steam VR, got WMR & the headset working and then clicked Play under FlyInside FSX in Steam VR. Same result as earlier.
No sign of FI or FSX in the headset.
So I'm still no further forward.
Please help.
Brian
Chopper1

Return to General forum