Vive pro compatiblity

All things VIVE and Flyinside related.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Vive pro compatiblity

Postby Pilot375 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:57 am

I just got my Vive Pro earlier in the week.

I have access to Vive, and Oculus products at work. There is a minor increase in clairity from the Vive Pro in X-plane and FlyInside. It does make the difference in usability for me.

I am a CFI, ATP, former airline/DOD pilot and I want to fly VR like a real airplane. This means I need to see the numbers for airspeed, altitude, frequencies and power settings.

With the Vive and Oculus at the default seating distance I can not.

WIth the Vive Pro I can see the instruments on the airplanes I have tried so far. This included the default MD-80, default 737, and Cessna steam gauges and G1000.

It's not perfect, but I do believe it is now usable for Instrument practice.

I am running a reasonable processor and dual SLI 1080's (but only one is driving for X-Plane as far as I can tell.) I will test on my laptop running 1070 soon.

Is is more comfortable than the Rift, and the standard Vive... but considerably more expensive!!
Pilot375

Postby CyberCub » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:27 pm

Pilot375 wrote:I just got my Vive Pro earlier in the week.

I have access to Vive, and Oculus products at work. There is a minor increase in clairity from the Vive Pro in X-plane and FlyInside. It does make the difference in usability for me.

I am a CFI, ATP, former airline/DOD pilot and I want to fly VR like a real airplane. This means I need to see the numbers for airspeed, altitude, frequencies and power settings.

With the Vive and Oculus at the default seating distance I can not.

WIth the Vive Pro I can see the instruments on the airplanes I have tried so far. This included the default MD-80, default 737, and Cessna steam gauges and G1000.

It's not perfect, but I do believe it is now usable for Instrument practice.

I am running a reasonable processor and dual SLI 1080's (but only one is driving for X-Plane as far as I can tell.) I will test on my laptop running 1070 soon.

Is is more comfortable than the Rift, and the standard Vive... but considerably more expensive!!

Thanks for letting us know. I am looking forward to higher resolution HMDs and just waiting until Vive Pro takes a price cut at some point in its life cycle.
Core I7-6700k @ 4.7ghz / 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz / 1070 GTX / HTC VIVE
CyberCub

Postby Tony » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:05 pm

+1 On the price. Don't see how they can possibly justify that price at the mo ??? Will wait patiently for Santa Cruz :)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Robert » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:39 pm

Hey guys - I found the issue I was having and P3D in the Pro is gorgeous now!

I was suspicious that there was an issue with textures but Zoolander over at Digital Theme Park suggested deleting the %appdata%/LockheedMartin/P3Dv4/prepar3d.cfg file and starting over. I had mentioned how it wasn’t holding the texture resolution setting and he keyed on the config file. I deleted it, reconfigured, and just tried the native P3D 4.2 VR view and it is righteous in the Pro now. I haven’t tried FlyInside yet to see how that goes, but suspect I’ll have much nicer views. And if not, I’ll just stick with the native P3D, depending. There is some stuff I really like in P3D, though.

Anyone with blurry images should give rebuilding the prepar3d.cfg file. If you delete it, P3D just rebuilds it.

Oh, heaven. It’s really beautiful now. ;-)
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Robert » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:54 pm

Followup - VR with the Pro looks amazing now in P3D 4.2 native VR mode. It still looks blurry in FlyInside. There are features in FlyInside I still would like to have though like being able to see my desktop, adjust world scale, etc.

I’ve looked in the settings menu and have the resolution/oversampling set to max but it still doesn’t affect the view in FlyInside. I’m either missing something or FlyInside is. One of the guys I fly with mentioned editing the FlyInside .ini file to get better resolution and said there was info here. I searched but didn’t find it.

Does FlyInside have a hard limitation that reduces resolution even though P3D supports higher resolution? Is there a way to configure FlyInside to work better with the Pro? Anyone got a link to setting higher resolution in the .ini?
Robert

Postby mnesys » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:57 am

I think that before messing up with settings, maybe waiting for Dan to revert with his findings and maybe an update could be a good idea....
mnesys

Postby Robert » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 am

Messing with settings localized the issue to FlyInside. Editing .ini files is easy. The trick is knowing what to change which is why I asked if anyone knew. I don’t know that the low resolution in FlyInside is set in stone but without asking and experimenting, how would I know?

I’d like to see a fix or even a comment but haven’t seen anything from Dan yet and I know he’s busy with the flight sim. The higher resolution makes a big difference and until this is resolved, those with Pro headsets are probably in the same boat I am. P3D is my go-to sim and it’s not able to reach full potential right now. If it’s an easy fix, I’m totally up for implementing it myself if I can.
Robert

Postby jimh20 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:42 am

Hi Robert,

I've been really intrigued by the Vive Pro and browsing the reviews, including your own reports. Yours are valuable because most of the reviewers are interested in gaming, not Flightsim. I've been disappointed in hearing of your lack of success with Flyinside/P3D.

I decided to do some trials of increasing the resolution settings in the Flyinside .cfg. By dialling back some of my P3D settings, I've been able to increase the figures in the cfg. Presently, I'm able to fly smoothly, without problems of any kind at a Flyinside setting of,
6720 4155. The reduction in the screen door effect has been remarkable, with tiny figures in the cockpit instruments readable now, and the general outside view very much clearer. I should also add here that in the interests of performance (and personal inclination) I avoid aircraft with a great demand on resources.

I'm not very technical in the field of resolution, so I'm curious as to how this would compare to Flyinside/P3D in the Pro. I just wish I could have a "Pre-purchase trial of the Vive Pro".

Sorry! Forgot to say I'm using an Oculus Rift.
Edit: Other settings I've tried: 4800 2968, 5760 3561

Jim
Win10-64, Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i7-6700k 4.7GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, EVGA GTX1080ti 11GB FTW3 Gaming, 3 Monitors 19-22-19" , CV1, Leap Motion, CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, Saitek Pedals.
jimh20

Postby Robert » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:09 pm

Hey Jim, I also tried adjusting the FlyInside settings before and while it did help the appearance and readability, everything was ultimately limited by the actual screen resolution. The Pro only has 80% more pixels than than the regular Vive or Rift so it’s not a huge bump, but if you think about a single digit or character on the panel, it’s almost double the pixels defining it. The resolution bump is right in the sweet spot for flying and driving.

Aerofly FS2 just works with the Pro and the difference was instantly apparent. It’s not perfect, but it’s amazingly good. As others have said, there’s no going back. You can see the same thing in P3D with the native VR mode but the scale was off and recentering was problematic. I need to see if there is a way to assign keys and buttons to the common VR things using FSUIPC and what is possible. Now that I’ve seen what P3D can do with the Pro, I can’t see (no pun intended) using FlyInside until I can get it producing the same quality images. It’s that big of a difference.

Tomorrow I’m going to try using smaller and smaller values to see if that might possibly help. Not expecting it to but without knowing what Dan is doing, maybe it might. Ideally, we would get an update that specifically addresses the new resolution. I have to think Oculus or others will also be stepping up resolution at some point where more than just a handful of us would benefit.

But now that I’ve seen what P3D can do native, that’s the kind of image I want.
Robert

Postby jimh20 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:44 pm

Thanks for your message, Robert.

I do feel, in the Rift, that native VR in P3D has significant extra clarity compared to via Flyinside. Although I have ChasePlane, I very much prefer using Flyinside for its features, and especially the ability to import 2D windows.

I've been really tempted by the Vive Pro. I get the impression that Oculus is too busy with other headsets and so other markets, that the chances of a CV2 anytime soon are remote. I'm not really impatient, just of an age when it is better to do something now than in a future which might be too late for me. ;) I expect I should content myself with my CV1 for now.

My other temptation is to build a new coffee lake computer, perhaps in a couple of months.

Cheers, Jim
Win10-64, Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, i7-6700k 4.7GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, EVGA GTX1080ti 11GB FTW3 Gaming, 3 Monitors 19-22-19" , CV1, Leap Motion, CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle, Saitek Pedals.
jimh20

PreviousNext

Return to HTC Vive