Custom Gauges

Moderators: Tony, admin

Re: Custom Gauges

Postby frankturley » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:05 am

I have successfully got working digital gauges running for 16 variables. I would like to be able to change the format of the output, by (a) perhaps adopting a larger font, to make them easier to read, and (b) rounding the outputs, as there's not a lot of point in displaying airspeed in knots to 6 decimal places. I have hunted through the internet trying to find how I might do this, but without success. If anyone knows what the answer is, or where I might find it, please let me know. Thanks.
frankturley

Postby frankturley » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:37 am

I thought I would have a try at building a digital ADF gauge, the output displayed is fine, but doesn't display the decimal value. I then thought I would have a try with firing events, so I added buttons to trigger adjusting the tuning, by hundreds, tens and units. The hundreds and tens work fine, but I get no reaction from ADF_1_INC/DEC or ADF_WHOLE_INC/DEC. If I look at the instrument in the DHC3, the decimal value is displayed. However, the adjustments only seem to be downwards, on the decimal and whole numbers. Is this still work in progress?
frankturley

Postby frankturley » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:35 am

I found the bugs in my chai script for the ADF gauge, the units and decimal inc/dec now work, and although the display doesn't show a decimal place if tuned to a round number frequency, it does show the decimal place once the decimal inc/dec buttons are used. However, I am still stuck on progress on my other gauges as I don't know how to format numeric output to the required number of decimals.
frankturley

Postby admin » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:47 am

That's progress! We'll add some proper number-formatting functions in our next update. In the mean-time you could experiment with rounding, or a custom number converter. That's a lot of work if you aren't in a hurry though ;)
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby frankturley » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:18 am

Thanks for coming back on the number formatting issue, I think I'll wait for you to make it easy for me, thanks. Meanwhile, having got the ADF gauge going, I did another for the NAV1 radio. The two appear not to work in parallel; frequency change events update the active on the ADF, but they update the standby on NAV1, with the NAV1 events including a swap standby/active frequencies event. I think this is logical if you remove the standby frequency variable from the ADF, as currently it appears redundant - or maybe its there for the future?
frankturley

Postby frankturley » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:44 am

Just tried to create a NAV2 gauge, but found the variables list much shorter than NAV1. Interestingly, the INC/DEC events move the standby frequency rather than the active, but I didn't spot a swap event for NAV2, which leaves it stuck! I'm guessing its still a work in progress.
frankturley

Postby MalcolmFI » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:17 pm

You're right about that, we definitely have more work to do with NAV2 :)
MalcolmFI

Postby frankturley » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:32 pm

The fuel gauge in the Baron and the Cessna both read zero, the sim variable for fuel quantity is showing 142 and 166 respectively. Looks like more work in progress.
frankturley

Postby frankturley » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Sorry, down to my poor eyesight, its the fuel flow that reads zero.
frankturley

Previous

Return to Add-On Developers Discussion