Flyinside XP

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Flyinside XP

Postby Tony » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:17 pm

Sad news from Dan =

It is with regret that we announce the discontinuation of FlyInside XP. It's been over two years since we first launched our plugin for X-Plane, bringing X-Plane 10, and then X-Plane 11 into virtual reality, opening up a whole new world for flight-simmers. Although we've worked hard to support many engine updates over this time, as of X-Plane 11.30 we are no longer able to provide our own VR integration.

From a technical stand-point, X-Plane has closed off their shaders. Without shader source code shipping with the simulator, there's just no way for us to properly inject VR. We spent a lot of time working on a solution, in an attempt to achieve 11.30+ compatibility, but over the last week we've determined that it simply isn't possible to make this work reliably.

We're researching the possibility of turning "FlyInside XP" into a lighter layer which sits atop native VR while providing virtual window imports, Leap Motion hands, and some of our other features. It's largely unknown how this will work though, or how long it could take, so in the mean-time we're discontinuing sales of FlyInside XP. Anyone who ordered in the last month (December 25th 2018 or later) may contact support@flyinside-fsx.com. We're offering either a full refund or a transition to any other FlyInside product of your choice, including FlyInside Flight Simulator.

Technical Details:
As part of their transition to Vulkan, X-Plane now ships shaders as precompiled "SPIR-V" byte-code. A large portion of FlyInside's rendering interception works by rewriting shaders on the fly. We invested a huge amount of time in creating a "shader decompile -> edit -> recompile" system, but over the last week it's become clear that it simply isn't a feasible approach.
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Re: Flyinside XP

Postby Kilstorm » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:08 pm

FlyInside was years ahead of native VR. I moved to XP11.30 before checking to see if FI was ready and learned to news that way with no way to return. Luckily native VR in XP is close to on par with where FI was. So much better than native P3D is compared to FI. So I have moved on to native VR support with XP and notice few to no cons but give great thanks to FlyInside for all that it did for XP users until native VR was good enough to make the switch.
Kilstorm

Postby Badl4ndz » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:10 am

If you still have XP 10 installed, you will still need FlyInside XP for VR with XP 10.

Question, I'm using Oculus CV1, I've uninstalled FI from XP 11 so I'm now using XP native support and every time I quit XP 11, it hangs and crashes. Only had this problem with native VR. Does anyone else have the same issue?
i9-10900k @ 5.3GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz |AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G | Win 10 Pro 20H2 x64 | GeForce 466.11 WHQL | Oculus Rift CV1 & S | Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync 4K | Saitek X52 | T.Flight Rudder Pedals | MS Sidewinder FF2
Badl4ndz

Postby Tony » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Have you deleted FI fully mate ? Go to appdata/roaming and delete the Flyinside folder, try again and let me know ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Kilstorm » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:03 pm

Badl4ndz wrote:Question, I'm using Oculus CV1, I've uninstalled FI from XP 11 so I'm now using XP native support and every time I quit XP 11, it hangs and crashes. Only had this problem with native VR. Does anyone else have the same issue?

I believe that is a bug that is being worked on. You are not the only person with that issue. I also think that the next 11.31 was a patch to fix that. Check the XP.org forums for more info.
Kilstorm

Postby Badl4ndz » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:51 pm

Tony wrote:Have you deleted FI fully mate ? Go to appdata/roaming and delete the Flyinside folder, try again and let me know ;)

I have just deleted the 4 highlighted files for XP 11 within the FlyInside folder because I still use FI for FSX SE & several different versions of P3D.

FI_XP.jpg
FI_XP.jpg (456.28 KiB) Viewed 23089 times
i9-10900k @ 5.3GHz | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz |AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G | Win 10 Pro 20H2 x64 | GeForce 466.11 WHQL | Oculus Rift CV1 & S | Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync 4K | Saitek X52 | T.Flight Rudder Pedals | MS Sidewinder FF2
Badl4ndz

Return to General forum *Discontinued* 25th Jan 2019