Lights, Camera, Action!

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Lights, Camera, Action!

Postby Robert » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:51 pm

Just a heads-up and let's see if we can get a lot of birds in the air for some video! Get your cameras ready or just show up for some multiplayer fun!

Now that we can do videos with FlyInside and the Oculus 0.7.0 runtime thanks to the new beta versions, let's get a lot of planes in the air this coming weekend! For those that don't know yet, the upcoming beta release - both preview and backer versions - have the ability to create a mirror window. The Oculus 0.7.0 runtime writes direct to the display buffer which broke the various video recording helper applications but now/soon we'll be back to being able to capture that for video. The release Dan is planning for this week fixes that with the mirror window. I've tried it and it works.

Dan should have the update up this week so let's make use of it and show off FlyInside.

A few things to do before then if you want to play too...

Be sure to turn off collisions with other aircraft.

Get set up and test your connection to the TeamSpeak server we have set up.

Set your FSX graphics graphics frame rate limiter to 30 frames per second. (Trust me on this one if you haven't been following along)

Grab the planes in the multiplayer info post just in case. The stock ones are OK but some of the aftermarket ones like the Tiger Moth are free and really fun.

Keep in mind that lead shouldn't go full throttle - always pull back just a little since planes trying to form on you are maneuvering a bit and going slower.

Also, lead should make gentle course, altitude, and throttle changes and call them out on the radio ahead of time so others know what's about to happen. A 3, 2, 1, turn (or whatever) countdown is also helpful to keep everyone alerted to coming changes.

Here is more info: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=563

And look for others on TeamSpeak this coming Thursday through Monday (10/9 - 10/12). At least check in. I won't be able to be on all that time but will try to be on popular times both for the US and UK/EU.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Re: Lights, Camera, Action!

Postby Melchor » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:55 pm

Thats great. I have described my expreience to the Ivao community and some people have shown interest on flying in VR. Most dont know what I am talking about so it would be great to record a video and show them.The problem is that no video can describe the expirience of flying in VR.Specially the situational awareness as you have a wider field of view. I was taxing the other day at EDDF and another plane was going to join my taxiway. Due to his restrictive view I knew he couldnt see that at one point we would crash. So although I had priority I decided to stop. Its great being on a holding point waiting for clearance for take of with other planes and see others arriving at the same time. Sure at some point VR in the sim community will take off(no pun intended).
P3D 2.5
i7 4790k OC 4.6
gtx 970
Melchor

Postby Robert » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:53 am

I think with the number of people getting GearVR and Cardboard headsets now, though, more will be able to see what it looks like. They don't get to move their head to see their own views, but they would get the visuals.

Even more fun for us is we do get the visuals and we are free to look around as much as we want. It's hugely cool flying with other planes in a VR world as it sounds like you know. Your story does help show the point that it's different when flying with people who are also in VR. I would bet the guys with wide screen triples setups are similar to fly with even though they just get the illusion of depth but I think there just aren't that many flying multiplayer with those capabilities.
Robert

Postby picnic » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:58 am

In the Bristol Flight Sim Group we have our own FSD based mulitplayer server. The advantage is we can mix sim platforms but the disadvantage is the updates are so slow no real close formation flying is possible. Putting the Rift on makes this whole experience even more real in that I can't so easily cheat and use things like the top down or chase views to navigate around the airfield. I really need to look out of the window as in real life. This task is of course so much easier with the rift and FlyInside although it's still hard to quickly read an airport chart in Pooley's. Onwards and upwards....
5820K@4.3Ghz . 16GB . 980ti . 4K display . Win10 Home 64bit . P3D v3.1 . OC 0.8
picnic

Postby Derek Speare » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:58 pm

I would like to participate :) When there's a formal time and day, I will do my best.
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Postby Robert » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xxzKKsfb7k

Bruce and I went up for a bit today. It was really unreal. With no jitter in the flying it's a completely different experience!
Robert

Postby Tony » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:20 pm

Is this FSX :) I'm so split now on whether to get fsx running sweet or p3d? Choices :(
Great video !!!!!!!!

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Robert » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:38 pm

FSX... :D

Thank you sir!
Robert

Postby Bruce_C » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:50 pm

Somehow I'd missed checking this video out, it was fun flying and turned out really nice.
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Return to The Lounge