Centering the Rift

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Centering the Rift

Postby AucklandRift » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:26 pm

I have problems in keeping the Rift centered. It's fine when using a new aircraft, then when starting a flight the center is way off and can't be re centered properly. Sometimes standing on tip toes helps. I should be able to look forward and center whilst seated. The camera is located about 5 feet away and up about 3 feet from head level. It's perfect in the Oculus test scene. Can you direct me to a file that I can change values, or a setup that allows offsets to be adjusted?
Using GTX 780 and hi end gaming PC. Never a problem with Elite Dangerous, just saying.
Otherwise fine. :ugeek:
AucklandRift

Re: Centering the Rift

Postby admin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:18 pm

I'm assuming you're using the recentering key/button (or head-tap), but it's re-centering you to the wrong place sometimes?

Under the Flight Simulator X "Controls" section, you can find Eyepoint Movement controls to move your view forwards/backwards/left/right/up/down. I believe you want:

Left - Ctrl+Shift+Backsapce
Right - Ctrl+Shift+Enter
Up - Shift+Enter
Down - Shift+Backspace
Forwards - Ctrl+Backspace
Backwards - Ctrl+Enter

You don't need to convince me that Elite Dangerous has better camera controls, trust me, I know it! ;) It's a side effect of how I communicate with the FSX camera that this happens sometimes, another bug on my to-do list. For now the Eyepoint Movement controls are the best work-around, and you can rebind them to better keys from inside FSX.
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby AucklandRift » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:48 pm

The adjustments work thank you. I noticed that on the activation of Ultimate Traffic Two, the problems with centering started. Hope this helps. :ugeek:
AucklandRift

Postby atate » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:14 am

The "tap to recenter" arrangement is a fun approach and seems to work for me... not always exactly recentering but getting close.

But I now wish I did not have a pilot figure in my custom aircraft! I keep getting placed INSIDE the pilot's 3D model head which then shows in front or to the sides of my eye position in the Rift :-)
atate

Postby Robert » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:22 am

Just lean back a little when you tap. Then when you sit back up straight you will be slightly in front of the pilot figure.

No way to turn the pilot figure off?
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby atate » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:53 am

>> No way to turn the pilot figure off?

'fraid not... that would have been a useful feature.. but the model is in Gmax and my attempts to find a simple way to bring it into a modern tool to have control over it again has not led me anywhere.

Tap to recenter the viewpoint, and/or manual movement forward and back as suggested by others works fine. Its even possible to manually edit the pilot eye position in the config files if it always seems wrong.

But sitting up straight as I enter the aircraft positions me better. No slouching :-)
atate

Postby nbridges12 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:21 pm

I just found this after posting about the same exact problem on the Rift! At first it's fine, but then after you hit center around 10 or so times, FlyInside thinks the center is to the left and down, and won't change back! My centering is fine in Oculus Home and in all of my other games, so this is exclusive to this extension! Admin, maybe you could set up a variable in a loop in the code that detects this large change and resets the center again? I don't know, I only took basic Java and C++ in high school so I can only give basic suggestions. If you want to email me, I would love to help solve this issue to the best of my ability! Flying in VR is so fun but this centering issue is bothering me too much!

Thanks,
Nolan
Gigabyte Z97-N WiFi Motherboard
Intel i7-4790K
ASUS GTX 1080 8GB
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
750W EVGA PSU
Oculus Rift
FSX Version 10.0.62615.0
FlyInside 1.96 - Oculus Runtime
nbridges12

Return to FSX Bug Reporting Here