Technical query

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Technical query

Postby Phil_Giordana_FCD » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:06 am

I may have a chance to get my hands on a GeForce Titan X at some point close in the future. But as my signature states, I'm also running with an i5-4440 CPU. I know the ultimate solution would be to upgrade that one as well, but until my funds are replenished, will I see some good improvement overall, especially in P3D?
i5-4440 3.10GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit), Windows 8.1, Oculus Rift DK2,Runtime 1.4, Leap Motion, Saïtek X52, three cats and a corn snake.
Phil_Giordana_FCD

Re: Technical query

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:12 am

Hi Phil,

This is a hard question to answer since I don't have your hardware, but maybe a guide would be for you to check Task Manager and see what your processors are doing when running P3D and FlyInside. If there is headroom left on all the cores, then an upgraded card may help. If you are maxed on one or more, it might not help so much.

And take that with a grain of salt since the better card may unload some of the CPU tasks and let it breathe a bit more. I wouldn't expect it but it may go the other way too. P3D spreads tasks out better over CPU cores whereas FSX tends to stick mostly to one and the CPU is a strong bottleneck. P3D isn't as bad so there is probably hope.

In other words, I really can't say for certain how much of a benefit you'll get. I think it is probably a given that there will be an improvement but it's hard to say how much of one and if you will realize the full potential of the card. Or it could just be an interim upgrade and then upgrade CPU, MB, and RAM later for an overall better system that can make good use of the card. But other GPUs are just around the corner as well. Not that we should be in a perpetual holding pattern since there will always be better hardware on the horizon, but the Maxwell line does have a known issue with interrupting draw calls and it's a safe bet that both Nvidia and AMD will be adding VR-specific optimizations soon.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Return to The Lounge