Getting CV1 and PC ready ?

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Re: Getting CV1 and PC ready ?

Postby Tony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:14 am

Thank you kindly ;)
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Tony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:30 am

Whats the way to go here ??? A DDR3 Mobo or DDR4 Mobo ?

Bit confusing at the mo. Have one on the way (jst :)) and wondered if we need DDR4 yet ?

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Robert » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:41 am

Hey Tony, a great place to select components that go together is newegg.com. They allow selecting parts by specifications. Once you decide on a CPU, you can select mobo's based on CPU socket and then RAM based on whatever the motherboard spec is. Makes it easy to be sure everything will work together and they also have bundles pre-selected. You can make sure about USB 3 ports, see what brand peripheral chipsets for compatibility since apparently some have issues with the Rift, etc.

Not sure if they would be the best for you to actually buy from but you can certainly build a good shopping list, compare items, etc. There are also lots of reviews and the various manufacturers are active trying to help anyone with problems so you can see what things might have problems but also what manufacturers help out.

Just a thought. Good luck!

On DDR3/4, I went with 4 but I've heard some say it's not a huge advantage depending on the cache in the CPU and the kinds of applications you run. I'd check the reviews and tech articles to see what they about the choice.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Bruce_C » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:33 am

I dont want to hijack the thread but has anyone had a warning about their USB 3.0 ports not being up to scratch from the compatibility app?
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby Tony » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:50 am

Yes mate , will be selling my FX9370 4.4GHZ and crosshair formula v mobo as soon as funds are raised and will be buying a pci card from amazon with 4 slots for 30 quid to plumb in !!!

Tony
Tony F
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby Robert » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:59 am

Hey Bruce, apparently quite a few have. I also saw Cyber say that there was a bit of early on in the spec where manufacturers didn't strictly adhere to the spec and those bits are apparently important to how the Rift cameras work. Some have bought PCI cards with USB 3.0 ports on them only to find out some of those are still non-compliant so people should check the posts at the Oculus site before spending the money if they go that route, but at least those cards don't cost much for those who find themselves burned. I've seen ASMedia USB driver chips as having a number of models that are non-compliant. My motherboard has two different brands of USB controllers on it. One is ASMedia and I forget the other. But my board shows as compliant. I don't know if the Oculus tool just stops after it finds a compliant chip and is skipping testing the ASMedia, or if all of my chips are compliant. I'll find out soon I guess...

One solution I've seen people say is they went from non-compliance using the Oculus testing tool to compliance by upgrading their motherboard drivers. That's always the first thing to do anyway and especially good to do for anyone who upgrades to Win10.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Previous

Return to The Lounge