Dovetail Games - Flight School / Flight Sim

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Dovetail Games - Flight School / Flight Sim

Postby Derek Speare » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Seems DTG has made an announcement:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/di ... 550990408/

I learned of it from Froogle's update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2XSawGmP7s

It's 64 bit. Sounds like FSX add ons appear to be kicked to the curb, a bad move in my opinion if true. Hopefully Dan will make a version of FlyInside for it!
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Re: Dovetail Games - Flight School / Flight Sim

Postby Bruce_C » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:49 pm

It sounds to me like they are trying to do with FSX for the 'entertainment' market what Lockheed-Martin are doing for the training market, ie further develop the FSX engine with DX11 compatibility. It will have to be pretty good and very competitively priced for me to justify purchasing as well as FSX and P3D.

Bruce
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Postby Robert » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:24 pm

Edit: Hey Derek, thanks for the links to Steam and Froogle's video. Just watched. Sounds like he verified all this. But it does sound good as long as we can get VR in there!

There are some big implications in this. They didn't mention VR at least that I saw but Dovetail has mentioned VR for Train Simulator which is apparently also getting a makeover. Being part of Steam and Valve's association with the Vive may bode well.

But they also say no 3rd party add-ons for Flight School but that they are talking with 3rd parties for Flight Simulator. I'm hoping my scenery and aircraft can carry along or that the various companies issue updates. I'd bet 3rd parties like Orbx, Carenado, Alabeo, etc, can't say anything yet but this announcement may impact them. I know I won't be buying any more accessories until we learn more.

We always knew FSX was a dead end. Now I guess the question is how dead and how good these new offerings will be. Flight School in April and Flight Simulator at the end of the year. Interesting times...
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby Derek Speare » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:09 pm

Here's what I wrote on the Steam forums about the need for backwards-compatibility:

Dovetail would do a disservice to the FSX community by not allowing this new sim to be compatible with FSX adds ons. There are thousands of FSX users out there who have hundreds - if not thousands - of dollars worth of FSX add ons. Forcing these folks to repurchase them, if developers even have a DTFS version would be a kick in the teeth to many people. I can see how folks would weigh their decision to migrate away from FSX quite carefully if it meant that they'd have to spend loads of money all over again.

DTG would need to offer a slew of popular planes with their core product and make sure the scenery in the core sim is better than what users have now by way of add ons. I don't see that happening as it would be a tremendous mobilization of resources and developers to accomplish such a task.

One of the core elements that has made the MSFS series so popular is the fact that users can incorporate add ons easily. I remember way, way back in the late 80's creating content for MSFS 3.0 (iirc). Allowing users to readily create and include add on planes, objects, scenery, etc. is what has kept so much life and value in the franchise. What DTG is attempting to do is remarkable in their deigns to produce the next iteration of MS Flight Simulator for 2016/7.

FSX has been out for 10 years and thousands of add ons exists for it. DTG should at least let folks keep them and move them into their new sim easily. Anything short of that would be a substantial misstep.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/di ... 563514178/

It's likely a losing battle, however. Since DTG's new sim will be 64bit, I don't see much traction with getting it. :/ :roll: :(
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

Derek Speare

Postby MK84 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:38 am

It's going to be a case of Catch-22 and "Damned if you do, damned if you don't".

We need a 64-bit to keep up with all the add-ons (more so with VR), yet by going 64-bit we might lose the ability use existing add-ons.
Oculus Rift - HTC Vive - FSX SE - Prepar3D - X-Plane 11 - Windows 10 Pro - Intel i7-4790K - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - TM HOTAS Warthog - MFG Crosswind - Pro Flight Trainer PUMA
MK84

Postby MK84 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:49 pm

The Q&A is going on now. And looks like no VR support.
https://www.facebook.com/dtgflightschool/
Oculus Rift - HTC Vive - FSX SE - Prepar3D - X-Plane 11 - Windows 10 Pro - Intel i7-4790K - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - TM HOTAS Warthog - MFG Crosswind - Pro Flight Trainer PUMA
MK84

Postby Robert » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:01 pm

Yeah, their reply was a little confusing on VR. Early on in the chat they said Flight School won't have support but later said this about Flight Simulator:

"I personally love VR and this is something I think we can do great things with in the future. Watch this space! - Steve"

Another person asked if they would allow 3rd parties like Dan to build VR plugins but that has no reply as of yet.

So maybe for Flight Simulator and maybe not for Flight School. But of all the places that need VR, Flight School would be it.

Just my opinion, but no VR is a deal breaker for me. Until it works and has support, no other features are enough to sway me.
HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Postby MK84 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:05 pm

Yup I was the one that asked if they would allow 3rd party devs to add support.

And as expected, add-ons might break with the transition to 64-bit. No surprise there.
MK84

Postby Derek Speare » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:51 pm

No VR = NoGo for me.

Derek Speare

Postby drumsonly2002 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:57 pm

Another project for Flyinside hopefully. No VR, no purchase.
drumsonly2002

Next

Return to The Lounge