Dovetail FS - Details from forum

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Dovetail FS - Details from forum

Postby exploremore » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:36 am

Just discovered the Avsim forum post on the new DTG FS
Martin is also answering Q there as in Steam & Dovetail - Following details gleaned from the 9 pages of posts current as I write
Several of their planned features are already implemented in P3D
A balance of features needed to avoid a 5fps sim
Cooperation with third party developers is in progress but likely implementation similar to FSX-SE setup - freeware unlikely
Many features still being developed and certain information is not being released yet - closer to release is when
Focus is on a set of release features with other items considered later perhaps according to demand
It appears Steam and Microsoft websites will be the preferred shops for selling addons
Virtual Reality is a long term development item not for release
Rock solid stability is a top priority of the development team
Flight school based at specific airports with free flight elsewhere possible - seasons available
Copying the "living" world of aviation is long term goal
Something very exciting with scenery is coming but NDA ... When revealed we believe most simmers will be very pleased - Procedural generation ? - more news next week!
20 people are working full time on new sim with others in company doing specific tasks such as sound & model makers
Goal of DTG is not to make another flight sim "game" but create a whole new platform with growth & dev for many years to come
The sims core engine will eventually have all the necessary features for developers to create all existing aircraft types
It will take years to build up the new platform and infrastructure surrounding the new sim
No stated competition with anyone - Motivation for sim - What keeps us simming & what stops some people from continuing
FSX-SE is going nowhere but we remain deeply committed to it
P3D will offer simmers one experience and DTG FS will offer another
Flight School will have reasonable learning curve providing new simmers to dip their toes into flight simulation
Smaller range of aircraft than FSX on release - perhaps better detailed? More aircraft later
We want you to feel you are not just flying from A to B but that you are flying your own aircraft between locations - tracking of flights, age of aircraft etc
Multiplayer, Virtual airlines and economics are long term goals
Necessary rights being obtained to use real weather feed for weather engine
Aircraft damage is only an interesting idea at the moment and not yet a long term goal
exploremore

Re: Dovetail FS - Details from forum

Postby admin » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Thanks for the summary :) Could you link to the posts where you read "likely implementation similar to FSX-SE setup - freeware unlikely" and "Steam and Microsoft websites will be the preferred shops for selling addons" ?

Does it sound like they're locking down the platform, or just that they'll have a preferred easy-to-access shop?
Your friendly neighborhood developer!
Contact Me: dan@flyinside-fsx.com
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jst » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:09 am

Well, to be honest not being negative or critical of DTG and their new venture but I can't see much there that's not already available. Yes the 64bit platform is welcome but it's hard to get excited about a lot of features that already exist in FSX and P3D flight training and virtual airlines excellent scenery which I am sure will improve when 64bit reaches P3D they are there and I know at an extra cost. It is always good to see something new and supportive within the flightsim community but I suppose time will tell..
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS - i9-9900K 3.6GHz - Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4 3200MHz - AORUS RTX 2080Ti OC - 3 x 2TB - Samsung 970 Evo M.2 3.0 NVMe
Jst

Postby exploremore » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:40 am

admin wrote:Thanks for the summary :) Could you link to the posts where you read "likely implementation similar to FSX-SE setup - freeware unlikely" and "Steam and Microsoft websites will be the preferred shops for selling addons" ?
Does it sound like they're locking down the platform, or just that they'll have a preferred easy-to-access shop?

Take a look at the avsim forum - I believe this is the correct link as there are several threads on the DTG FS
Q&A from DTG - http://www.avsim.com/topic/483642-ask-d ... tor/page-9
Comments on DTG FS - http://www.avsim.com/topic/483828-discu ... simulator/
Last edited by exploremore on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
P3D v3.4 & 4 | FlyInside 1.8 | Oculus CV1 | ASRock X99 | Intel i7 | 32Gb RAM | 1Tb SSD | Titan X | Windows 10 | Saitek X52 | Many OrbX items
exploremore

Postby exploremore » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:42 am

Jst wrote:Well, to be honest not being negative or critical of DTG and their new venture but I can't see much there that's not already available. Yes the 64bit platform is welcome but it's hard to get excited about a lot of features that already exist in FSX and P3D flight training and virtual airlines excellent scenery which I am sure will improve when 64bit reaches P3D they are there and I know at an extra cost. It is always good to see something new and supportive within the flightsim community but I suppose time will tell..

If you look at the following OrbX forum thread John Venema (CEO) makes some interesting comments -
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/ ... im/?page=4
P3D v3.4 & 4 | FlyInside 1.8 | Oculus CV1 | ASRock X99 | Intel i7 | 32Gb RAM | 1Tb SSD | Titan X | Windows 10 | Saitek X52 | Many OrbX items
exploremore

Postby Jst » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:53 pm

exploremore wrote:
Jst wrote:Well, to be honest not being negative or critical of DTG and their new venture but I can't see much there that's not already available. Yes the 64bit platform is welcome but it's hard to get excited about a lot of features that already exist in FSX and P3D flight training and virtual airlines excellent scenery which I am sure will improve when 64bit reaches P3D they are there and I know at an extra cost. It is always good to see something new and supportive within the flightsim community but I suppose time will tell..

If you look at the following OrbX forum thread John Venema (CEO) makes some interesting comments -
http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/ ... im/?page=4

I think reading what John Venema is saying is that they will be working with selected developers and we will have to re-purchase addons at full price, it is sounding more like a bit of a closed shop regarding addons once again only time will tell.
I made a decision a while back not to invest any more money into FSX and I am pleased that I made the right decision. I will continue to use and invest into P3D and as John Venema said regarding performance is that it will be on par with P3D 3.1 so there is no point in changing anything and from what we know there is no VR support to start with in any of the releases.
Once again I am not being critical just my thoughts I could be totally wrong but is the idea to get a totally new audience that will adapt to the Dovetail steam way of doing it, maybe we have been spoiled because of how long FSX as been around a system where anyone can produce and sell addons maybe this culture is about to hit the skids.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS - i9-9900K 3.6GHz - Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB DDR4 3200MHz - AORUS RTX 2080Ti OC - 3 x 2TB - Samsung 970 Evo M.2 3.0 NVMe
Jst

Postby exploremore » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:29 am

Apparently there was FSX-SE was a huge success for Steam as it has millions of members who were willing to give flight sim a go
Going through Steam & MS the new DTG FS has a good ready market.
At the very least competition will inspire new features mostly to our benefit
exploremore

Return to The Lounge