Vive Price Announced - $799 Including Controllers and Bundle

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Vive Price Announced - $799 Including Controllers and Bundle

Postby Robert » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:11 pm

HTC Vive Pro/P3D/DCS/X-Plane
Orbx FTX Global Base, FTX Global Vector, scenery, airport packs
Robert

Re: Vive Price Announced - $799 Including Controllers and Bu

Postby Tony » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:22 pm

Interesting Robert, a day early on the news lol. That's me out though , 799 dollars will probably be about 799 pounds I reckon !!!

Good luck to all with pre ordering and I bet you'll be one of them Robert 8-)

Tony
Tony F
Customer Support = contact tony@flyinside-fsx.com
FlyInside Inc.
Tony

Postby exploremore » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:46 pm

I have already pre ordered the Oculus
I will wait till late in the year to see if the content difference warrents buying another VR
Since I have a Samsung phone I could opt to get a GearVR but not impressed with content yet
P3D v3.4 & 4 | FlyInside 1.8 | Oculus CV1 | ASRock X99 | Intel i7 | 32Gb RAM | 1Tb SSD | Titan X | Windows 10 | Saitek X52 | Many OrbX items
exploremore

Postby Robert » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:12 pm

Hey Tony,

I'm not sure. I've been saving up for this launch lunacy but may hold back. I'll have the Rift and think it will be the first HMD to get support for FlyInside, DCS, and Assetto Corsa since the devs have all already been working on Rift support. The Vive has some really cool launch stuff but according to their blog, they are bundling Fantastic Contraption and Job Simulator. Both look cool but aren't really my interest. But that's the same for the Rift as I'm not interested in Lucky's Tale or Valkyrie. (E:D is probably more my speed. I'm not into the twitch shooters.)

And since Vive is launching at $799, that makes it the same as the Rift (with controllers) if Touch comes out at $200 which seems a reasonable guess. The question then becomes what differentiates between the two. For me personally I like the potential of Lighthouse to be able to get up and out of the airplanes and cars and be tracked wherever I go. I won't necessarily be able to do that with the Rift until I can get a second camera. Reviews of both units displays have been excellent but the edge seems to be to the Rift by just a nose. I suspect the Rift will also be lighter and more comfortable and not leave me with raccoon eyes after a lot of flying like DK2 does. But Vive has that front-facing camera and Chaperone and those are both big pluses. Being able to see the keyboard occasionally, or around the room as I survey my shiny P-51, P-38, or Spitfire, would be very handy.

But there is a lot to sort out yet. We haven't seen the final versions. I don't expect Rift will debut with a front camera too, but they did show that render with one a while back, so maybe. Plus, Rift is supposedly being subsidized to the tune of about $100 while Vive is selling at a profit. Not sure what differences that leads to but Oculus used lots of custom parts but maybe there is more. Ear buds vs. headphones. Vive having cell phone integration, etc. On and on. (http://blog.htcvive.com/2016/02/unveili ... formation/)

Interesting times. Consumer VR is finally here and it's all pretty exciting. I think we may finally start getting all the details on these HMDs so we can make better decisions. Oculus and HTC have been playing cat and mouse big time.

And, on the HTC blog, they are saying early April for deliveries. That is probably when my Rift would be arriving.
Robert

Postby Robert » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:15 pm

Hey Explore - have you been flying using the DK2 yet? I've not tried Gear but have tried the Zeiss VR One (similar but lacks some of the functionality of the Gear). Anyway, if you haven't tried real VR, at least what I have tried is no substitute. Even with DK2, PC-based VR is the only way to go in my opinion.
Robert

Postby exploremore » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:53 am

Robert wrote:Hey Explore - have you been flying using the DK2 yet? I've not tried Gear but have tried the Zeiss VR One (similar but lacks some of the functionality of the Gear). Anyway, if you haven't tried real VR, at least what I have tried is no substitute. Even with DK2, PC-based VR is the only way to go in my opinion.

I have been using FlyInside soon after kickstarter program with the DK2. I have a Samsung mobile but I do not have GearVR because the current content doesn't appeal to me
My phone has 8 processores but I do not believe it could come anywhere near the Oculus for FS quality flying with i7 & Titan Graphics card
I now never fly with a screen, although the resolution is far better than the Oculus so I eargerly await my CV1 arriving in June
Had 2 long flights over fjords of OrbX Norway on the weekend, NE of Bergen and enjoyed every minute of the flight
The 3D world in VR when you are flying accross the treetops is a real thrill although I go up and down to get different perspectives
I had my first balloon ride in Jaipur, India in December and we constantly went up and down in altitude making the one hour ride truly memorable
After that I rarely stay at a set altitude flying in P3D. OrbX scenery has so much to offer and is currently one of the best available
P3D v3.4 & 4 | FlyInside 1.8 | Oculus CV1 | ASRock X99 | Intel i7 | 32Gb RAM | 1Tb SSD | Titan X | Windows 10 | Saitek X52 | Many OrbX items
exploremore

Return to The Lounge