DIY Bass shaker

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

DIY Bass shaker

Postby Bruce_C » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:06 am

So, having heard from others how a bass shaker can add to VR immersion I decided to have a go a this DIY solution as a project to keep myself busy whilst I wait for my new headset.

I followed this video (not my work) pretty closely, using the subwoofer from a set of 2.1 PC speakers.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m1GS0uIFVfE

I am amazed at how well it works even in this primitive state, worth having a go if you have time and the components to hand!
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Re: DIY Bass shaker

Postby Derek Speare » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:25 am

Sim racing has enjoyed extensive use of tactile transducers for some time. One company offers a program that drives 4+ bass shakers to create driving feel at 4 corners. It's a very popular program. We're working on developing our own software solution as well for use with both driving and flying sims.

It's a pretty simple exercise to get an amp and one bass shaker for a basic setup. It adds to the immersion much. Sophisticated software, however, driving the shakers really fine tune each tactile event and allow the user to direct and control how much and where the feedback occurs.
Derek "BoxxMann" Speare - An old "sim head"
System: i7-5930k | GTX980ti | Evo850 1tb | 32g ram | 2-DSD Button Boxes | Latest OH | CH Sticks | Win10 Pro | FSX:SE | P3D2.5/3 | XP v10/v11 | Leap Orion | CV1/WMR/DK2

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com
Derek Speare

Re: DIY Bass shaker

Postby Bruce_C » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Yup, I have to say my simple single sub solution is great but if I could fine tune it so the rumble changed when my wheels came unstuck it would be awesome!
i7-5820K Running @3.8GHz, 16GB RAM with Windows 10, GTX980 (384.94) Oculus Rift CV
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & CH Pro Pedals

Bruce_C

Return to The Lounge