Preventing Oculus from sending data

A place for VR pilots to rest and post screenshots and videos and chat about anything.

Moderators: Tony, Sharkku

Preventing Oculus from sending data

Postby n3bulaR » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Hi!

As we know, Oculus Home now needs to be running in the background for the Rift to work. But is there any way to prevent the software from sending data to Oculus while using it with FlyinsideFSX?
intel i5-4690K CPU
8 GB RAM
GeForce GTX970, Driver Version 385.41
Win 8.1, FSX SP2 + Acceleration
DK2, Oculus Home 1.17
n3bulaR

Re: Preventing Oculus from sending data

Postby n3bulaR » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:55 pm

Well, I've taken a closer look at the processes that are running in the background, and it turns out OVRServer_x64.exe is constantly generating outbound network traffic, even when the Rift is off and Oculus Home is not running.

Collecting data about Rift use is one thing, but sending data home all the time whenever the PC is on? ... WTF Oculus! I wonder what kind of data they collect when the Rift is sitting on the desk and not being used? The amount of transmitted data is small, but its being sent constantly ... very creepy!

Now the first thing I do after startup is killing the Oculus processes when I'm not using the Rift :roll:

EDIT: For those who might be interested: Looks like OVRServer_x64.exe can be blocked using the Windows Firewall without any noticeable effect on the Rift's functionality (at least outside of Oculus Home). In my case, OVRServer_x64.exe had maintained an active connection with one of the following servers at all times:
edge-mqtt-shv-01-fra3.facebook.com
edge-mqtt-shv-01-frt3.facebook.com
edge-oculus-shv-01-fra3.fbcdn.net
edge-oculus-shv-01-frt3.fbcdn.net
edge-star-shv-01-frt3.facebook.com
edge-star-shv-01-fra3.facebook.com
edge-star-shv-01-fra3.fbcdn.net
edge-star-shv-01-frt3.fbcdn.net
intel i5-4690K CPU
8 GB RAM
GeForce GTX970, Driver Version 385.41
Win 8.1, FSX SP2 + Acceleration